Gas Cookers In Flats

I am presently using a gas hob and an electric oven fan assisted but hope to go back to the sensible option of a gas cooker . I was looking at what's available and saw this one

but the first thing that struck me was the comment that it " May not be installed in flats" .

WTF is that all about ? I live in a 2nd floor flat and flats have always had gas appliances,cookers,Ch ,fires etc .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

&BV_EngineID=ccejadeehhjfflicflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=4&sm=4&tm=1&sku=755072&category_oid=-30561>> but the first thing that struck me was the comment that it " May not

Ronan Point?

Reply to
PeterMcC

Yeah .That was 30 years ago !!!!!

I've since found this ...This new ROOL has been made up by the IGEM in cohort with CORGI . It started just this year in January .

stillnobodyhome

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

But for those of us in the adjacent tower blocks, it seems like yesterday :)

Reply to
PeterMcC

&BV_EngineID=ccejadeehhjfflicflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=4&sm=4&tm=1&sku=755072&category_oid=-30561

I've only just got up to speed with this. It appears that all the rings on a cooker that is to go into a flat must have some sort of flame failure device.

Cookers which don't comply can't be fitted. Older cookers which happen to have been fitted are to be categorized as "Not to current standards" which means they are allowed to remain.

This situation, say, is much the same as if an electrician comes across a consumer unit with rewire-able fuses. Which is part of an installation in good order designed to the 15th regs. The installation is safe enough to stay in use but the design isn't good enough to install today.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

And it looks like cooker man'frs are not up to speed with it . Curry's and Comet don't appear to have cookers these devices fitted on sale unless they are still disposing of older stock .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

Bad example: rewireable fuses to BS 3036 are still permitted for new installations, even under the 17th edition which came into full force today.

However circuits with non-RCD protected T&E cables in walls, non-RCD protected bathroom circuits and non-RCD'd general-purpose sockets are all now 'NCS' (code 4 on a PIR).

Reply to
Andy Wade

Is this The Law, or CORGI "guidance"?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That's what I wondered when I read a thread on moneysavingexpert.com where folk were talking about it .That's where I found the links to IGEM and CORGI It seems that if you want one fitted without this device and you want a CORGI to fit it then they won't ( or shouldn't)

'm not sure what happens if a Corgi goes against this "advice" and fits one anyway and some mishap occurs .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

> I'm not sure what happens if a Corgi goes against this "advice" and

An opinion..

IANAL but I would say the situation was clear - if you go against the published guidelines of a recognised body (such as the IGE) and there is a problem connected with your failure to comply, the occupant/owner or any other affected third party would have a [very] strong case for culpable negligence they could take to law.

Not something you would risk if a CORGI (who, by definition should be aware of the guidelines). Whether a non-CORGI could plead ignorance is also doubtful but less clear (I would say).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

>>> I'm not sure what happens if a Corgi goes against this "advice" and

That last link I posted has again changed the goalposts because of a lack of appliances fitted with this FSD .What I'm not sure on reading this PDF ( Page 3) it is if ,after 1st June 2008 ,you can still get one without the device fitted .It appears that you can but it will be classed as NCS but what that means in practice is anyones guess ..maybe leaving it in place but labelled as such .I was trying to copy and paste from that PDF but can't figure out how to do it .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

They exclude terraced houses - which seems a bit odd. The (possible) gas explosion the other day (Herts. somewhere IIRC) seems to have severely affected the neighbours. I'd guess this was simply because they didn't think including such properties would be accepted. And I'd also guess that many older terraced properties are a lot less able to withstand a gas blast than many modern purpose built properties that are covered.

Seems home cheistry might be out - never seen a bunsen burner with an FSD.

Reply to
Rod

You wonder just how many potential gas escapes these devices will actually prevent .I'd have thought that there would be far more other reasons for gas escapes than a cooker's gas flame blowing out .

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 14:54:28 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: snipped

I'm not sure if I forgot to post the most recent advice pdf from IGEM Here it is

stillnobodyhome

they (FSDs) are such a wonderful improvement - why not mandate them everywhere? In fact, why were they not mandated years ago? Negligence by the standards people not having done so?

It's OK to blow up your neighbours if it is a secondhand cooker?

Seems to me it should actually cover hotels with manager/owner accommodation as part of the building. That will be fun in the kitchens.

Anyone happen to know if the flueless gas fires that seem to be so available have FSDs fitted?

Reply to
Rod

There is an exemption for (very small) gas rings (and presumably that would include a bunsen burner) of less than 0.6kW.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Almost every other gas appliance has them in ne form or another. Older gas fires (the gas vents up the chimney) and very old domestic ovens don't.

In fact, why were they not mandated years ago? Negligence by

Most commercial kitchen appliances are interlocked to the correct functioning of the the extraction system. This is rather better than a 6" fan!

Most certainly the FSD will also double up as an ASD to detect oxygen depletion.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed - thanks. I should have put a few more questions amrks in as I did want the sort of answers you helpfully provided. But the document says that it was not intend to apply to secondhand appliances? I just exaggerated.

So if the hotel kitchen fans are not working, the gas doesn't flow? Makes sense. So perhaps my comment actually gets reduced in scope to those that do not do so.

Reply to
Rod

According to

burners produce 5000 BTU per hour, or 1.465 kWH (onlineconversion.com). I might have got the units wrong.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why? You've got the ideal combination there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)