garden wall design

I'm looking for a photo or plan for a low brick wall for the front of the house that would double up as a planter, trailing lobelia and all that stuff. Any jpegs out there to give me inspiration? TIA

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Personally I'm crazy about crinkle-crankle .

Mike Halmarack

Thanks, Mike. Nice in Suffolk, but probably not outside a terraced house in London:-) Thinking of a straight, 3 hollow piers type arrangement, about 12 ft long. It'll probably end up full of weeds but you gotta have a dream on these winter days.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Some weeds have great character, are dream enhancing and just love crinkle-crankle walls wherever they begin and end. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from Mike Halmarack contains these words:

Another one here

used to play on that as a kid.

Reply to
Guy King

They are a lot more inviting than straight walls aren't they?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The message from Mike Halmarack contains these words:

Certainly to run along the top of when in infant school, yes. Grass at the foot of the wall helps, too.

I had heard that they were done like that to allow for thermal expansion

- but I think the stability issue is more likely - that and they look nice.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , Mike Halmarack writes

Just imagine the potential for boundary disputes in today's society :-/, I like the look & strength though.

Reply to
fred

Ok, so what about low walls that aren't crinkley-crankley?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Given the disputes that can occur with boundaries I think life is likely to be more straightforward in that department with a straight one, however low, but certainly more boring

Reply to
fred

Just a thought - keep it in proportion. Someone near me has had built a massive hollow double wall with pillars, in front of a modest bungalow. Well constructed (though completely inappropriate brick colour), but totally out of scale - it would stop a tank, and the planting is dwarfed.

Perhaps time will soften it ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Plant stuff, lay weed control fabric around it, gravel on top of that. No weeds! No watering!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

More like "lay membrane, plant through it, cover it" ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

That as well!

Reply to