Garage Power Shopping List

Page 3 of 3
manoman wrote:

You only need two core because you can use the shield as earth. If exporting the house earth then you can use a metal consumer unit in the garage and the glands should ensure the earths are well tied together.

Diffusers? I know the ones fitted to the lights in my workshop have saved a tube on a number of occasions when I have clomped it with a lump of 2x4!
--
Cheers,

John.

I've got this idea floating around in my head that if you are exporting the earth you are not supposed to use the sheath for this.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Leave it! It's been discussed many a time here. 3 core is fine for what the OP wants, don't confuse him. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch wrote:

yes please.... don't confuse me...its daunting enough already. I do stuff like this all day but for some reason because its my own I am getting paranoid. I would hate someone coming to my house and thinking I had done a half-assed job.
Phil
John Rumm wrote:

I may add diffusers later but the cost is stopping me at the moment. It increase the cost significantly as far as I can see.
I am just going to use the earth within the cable if thats still ok when I export my earth.
Phil
manoman wrote:

TLC are doing single 5' diffusers for 7 quid each - so probably not going to break the bank. I think I paid less than that at my local electrical wholesalers (about 6 quid for two IIRC).

That is fine. You should also connect the screen at the source end to give better protection to the cable (having said that - if it is buried under concrete then it is not going to make much difference!)
--
Cheers,

John.