Garage Door Opener Range.

I have a good excuse for not losing yet another tool. ;-)

Reply to
krw

AFAIK, all horizontally polarised TV signals are generated with slot antennae, since it makes the construction of the masts much easier.

Reply to
Huge

Umm .. slots haven't been used for TV at all in the UK. They went out of fashion for Radio around the mixed polarisation upgrades of the early

1980's..

In recent analogue times usually panel aerials or dipoles for main TV stations and Log arrays like Yagi's etc for relay stations.

In modern Digital times panel arrays and stacks of them.

Some being dropped into place in I believe your backyard;!..

tony sayer

Well, I sit corrected. Thank you. I'm obviously going mad.

Reply to
Huge

Not necessarily. The authorities will generally shut down the cell network in that area should the possibility of such attack manifest itself.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Perhaps but the reliability of GDOs is pretty bad. If the authorities find it, it's a failed attempt. I certainly wouldn't stand around an IED with a GDO trigger, either.

Reply to
krw

Disregard total Bollix!...

Err No!,

I'm getting rather forgetful in my olde age!. You were right I've written off several years of TV engineering and Charles Hope can't have been reading this thread else he'd have picked me up on that!>

Some were dipoles but there were slots the "EMISLOT" made by EMI as implied!.

Herewith some pix of same from the Stockland Hill transmitter in deepest Devon taken when the digital switchover was in progress. Oddly enough the engineering notes of the time when they went into service refer to them as panel's which you could call them that, but I don't think anyone did!.!..

Sorry!...

And a close up here at Wenvoe in Wales!..

tony sayer

Hmmm. I'm guessing if you hooked one of these up to your garage door, you'd have no range problems at all.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not sure about "reliability" - more a case of sensitivity and selectivity which I agree they're pretty hopeless for, certainly the higher the frequency goes. They were probably just the job for performing checks on the BBC's Aspidistra transmitters, though!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Well, in this case, "reliability" includes keeping the door shut until you're not standing next to it.

Reply to
krw