Garage Door

I have an up and over Garage door. I have replaced the wiring that connects the springs to the door. But the door will still not operate correctly. What I am doing wrong?

regards

Reply to
tonyf..

I have an up and over Garage door. I have replaced the wiring that connects the springs to the door. But the door will still not operate correctly. What I am doing wrong? Regards

Reply to
tonyf

Could be a few things

  1. spring tension
  2. sticky bearings and tracks
  3. rusty spring

I had a really stiff door and before I messed around with the tension of the spring I lubricated all the wheel bearings and tracks and also sprayed the spring with wd40. That fixed it and now the spring needs slightly de-tensioning if anything.

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

In article , "Paul ( Skiing8 )" writes

Be extremely careful if messing with the spring tension, there is a scary amount of pent up energy in there.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

How do I get the tension in the springs? It seems when I can get one side tensioned but not both at the same time.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
tonyf

tonyf used his keyboard to write :

I had some problems with our door. It seemed to regularly break its steel wire and I would replace it with heavier gauge. It seemed that initially the original wire had been chafing on the frame, but my replacing the original with heavier gauge meant that it was forcing the heavier diameter wire to go around a smaller diameter than it was not designed to go round, on the pulleys. It is impossible to see what is happening to the steel wire, because the door itself prevents you watching.... Hence I gained some regular experience of replacing it :-(

To tension it... I found the best way was to hook the spring end on first with the door closed, then tie some rope onto the other end which hooks onto the door. I used a loop of some small steel binding wire to connect the rope to the wire. Found I could apply the tension by standing on the rope, then once enough tension was applied clamp the flexible wire against the doors steel frame with a pair of Mole grips. This gives you the chance to then hook it onto the doors attachment point.

As others have indicated, the tension on the spring is lethal. Where plenty of clothes as padding plus goggles just in case something should go amiss.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield