Fuel problem with 1989/E reg Vauxhall astra cabriolet 1.3

I have recently bought an astra cabriolet to learn about mechanics on. First problem i have seen is that it seems to be consuming more fuel than Esso!! I did 100 miles which seemed to cost me well over =A330!? It also broke down the other day and wouldn't start back up again for a while? Also, my friend the other day said she thought she could smell fuel? Now when i leave the car on tick over, it doesnt take along for it to cough and splutter before conking out? Hence it's driveway bound at the moment?

Thought i might check the carburettor but am not too experienced....however i do want to learn!? This car used to have a 1.6 engine but has been changed to 1.3 (supposedly to save on fuel?) if anyone could point me in the right direction or has had similar experiences i would be really grateful.

Reply to
bluesofty

Go to your local motor parts store, and buy the Haynes manual for this make/model of car. That will help you understand it a lot more.

Also, become very friendly with the folks at the motor parts store - they may have good advice etc for you.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Just a couple of thoughts - there is a Vauxhall newsgroup might be worth a look and if engine has been changed hope they fitted the carb etc to suit that engine not from the 1600

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC