fuel feed pipe for garden blower/vac

Now's the time to sort out the blower for the leaves and (possibly) winter snow ... and I find that the fuel feed pipe has somehow become detached and is lying in the bottom of the fuel tank. Feed pipe from tank to carb is fine and as long as its been primed it will start and run.

Before I start to take it apart does anyone know if I shall need to get a full pipe from tank to carb or is it something that is jointed inside the tank?

Its a generic Chinese blower/vac - can't recall the specific brand but its very similar to the Ryobi ones if that's any help.

Ta

David

Reply to
David P

the clunk weight fuel feed system, used on model air planes and hadge trimmers and similar power tools to ensure the engine gets fuel which ever way up the plane/tool and tank is,

Usually it's a pipe pushed on a spigot inside the tank, then a 'clunk' on the other end of the pipe, which is just a bit of metal that pushes into the end of the pipe with a hole thru it, so the clunk always falls to the bottom of the tank, even if you turn it upside down, the tube length is semi critical, need to ensure it wont get hung up on any protrusions from the odd shaped tanks usually found on power tools, and not too short to starve the engine of fuel when the tank is nearing empty.... tho for a leaf blower it's not really that much of a disaster to fill the tank and re-prime the carb.... on a model plane you can usually only do that after you've re-built the air frame :)

The old pipe probably split at the spigot junction, so you'll need a new length of hose designed to be immersed in fuel all the time (not just the insides of the pipe being fuel proof, and the chinese 'fuel' hose hardly seems to be able to do that) the petrol model plane lot use Tygon tubing, the glow engine lot use silicone tubing, but that is not suitable for petrol, tho it can withstand methanol which i thought was 'worse' than petrol, it is extremely flexible, The Tygon tube is almost as flexible, and the petrol plane lot use it for their clunk tubes, so a model plane shop will have it on the roll.

Getting the new clunk tube on the spigot in the tank may be a challenge, do you know a friendly gynecologist?

Reply to
Gazz

Yep, thats it

Indeed it did - - just inside the tank and you are right about the lack of 'fuel proffness' of the OE.

Managed to get some proper stuff from the local (ish) ag. workshop

Hah! I cheated, having extracted the remains from the tank and removed the short stretch to the carb. I measured carefully the required length and bought more which enabled me to thread through the spigot, fish the end through the tank filler and fit the 'clunk' (filter) on then fed it back into tank pull it back to the right length inside the tank and cutting it to the length to go to carb.

Easy peasy. Apart from the 'slight' problem of getting the pipe onto the carb inlet which really needed nimbler fingers than mine.

Reply to
David P