Freezer in garage

The house we're moving to has an integrated freezer in the kitchen and no suitable space indoors for another one. Our present one is knackered, so it won't be coming with us. We will have to put one in the garage (SWMBO thinks the car is going in there too, but once my workshop is set up...). I've looked at the Google newsgroups and the latest recommendations, often for pricey Liebherrs, are two years or so old.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a suitable less expensive chest freezer of about 280-300 litres? Or are modern freezers much of a muchness? Which? reports would suggest this is the case.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

We bought a cheapie ( Frigidaire @ £99) one some years back (probably 15 years) as a back up as our main one (a far more expensive Whirlpool) was very unreliable at the time.

It spent several years in large (unheated) shed and ever since has been in an unheated integral garage. Never had a problem with it.

We had a "max and min" sensor in for some time while it was in the shed, the temperature never varied by a noticeable amount summer to winter over several years (until the sensor got dropped!).

Reply to
Brian Reay

In message , Peter Twydell writes

I suspect they are much of a muchness. We bought one few years back (5-6). Ours is an Electrolux. Spent most of its life happily in the garage. We looked for one with decent energy rating - which seems to be down to the insulation.

Reply to
chris French

An "A" rated freezer will in general have a smaller capacity than a less efficient freezer of the same external dimensions.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Look out for the minimum temperature rating: some of them claim not to guarantee working below 15C! The lowest I saw claimed to be OK to +5C, but I expect it would be OK a little lower than that.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

You don't want a less expensive one - probably. Is it just cosmetically that your current one is knackered? Coat of paint can work wonders, or some new seal strips.

However. Back to my original point, looking at the difference on froogle, I find that you can get 100Kwh/year difference in performance, which adds up to around 10 quid a year - and electricity prices are rising. I note some new chest freezers on ebay.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Don't I?

The current freezer is cosmetically excellent - it's the works that are knackered. Stays on far longer than it used to and is very noisy.

Reply to
Peter Twydell

In message , Peter Twydell writes

Thanks for all the help. SWMBO now says she will get a s/h one just in case it goes TU. Anyone got a trailer for sale? :-)

Reply to
Peter Twydell