Fluorescent starter switch about 27mm diameter?

I was told that the fluorescent tube had failed in the kitchen of an elderly relative, and I thought it was going to be easy to fix it. I bought both a new 1500mm tube and a new starter switch. But when I went round there I found that the starter gear was in a box in the loft and that inside the box the old switch was just a bit bigger in all dimensions than the ones on sale now. It's about 27mm diameter, with pins 15mm apart, so that a new starter switch could not be fitted into the existing socket, which was really annoying.

Having searched unsuccessfully for anyone still selling starter switches of this size - has anyone on this group has come across them?

If not, then I guess I have to replace the whole set of gubbins with a new fluorescent unit complete with modern starter gear. I'm sure that would be better in the long run, but I was hoping for just a quick fix.

Reply to
Clive Page

I have a fluorescent tube in the back of my garage. The casing is metal, the other tube has a plastic case. When it packed in I had a look inside it. I know absolutely nothing about these things. There is a big silver thing in there which could be a resister or something. It was dated March 1973. End of days. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Or just buy an electronic ballast to replace the existing ballast and starter.

Reply to
Michael Chare

"Big silver thing with a date" sounds like a power factor correction capacitor.

Reply to
Graham.

Sounds like an old fitting, before 1960. That's the size of a thermal starter switch, but it will have a standard glow-starter in it.

However, the fitting is probably for a 5' 80W tube (which you can't buy for many years), and if it's very old, it will have baynet cap end-caps, although quite likely with bi-pin adaptors plugged in.

Replace the whole thing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I thought it looked like a capacitor, but the writing on it mentioned resister. I was trying not too look stupid. It was also "Made In England"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mr Pounder

No, invite the press.

Graham.

If its one of those old things, a 2 pin starter means glow. I thought new starters fitted ok, but its been some while. If not just attach wires and hook it up - to the right 2 pins of course.

I dont know what modern T8s would make of 80w. From the T12 days I recall +-20% power having minimal effect on life, after that it drpped off a good bit. 80w is 38% over 58w - you'd still get a lot of life, but it would be affected.

Unless you want the look of the old one, then just replace the ballast, or fault find it properly. I you do remove it there are a few folk that buy such old kit, likely reachable via ebay.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The mention of a resistor on such a PFC capacitor is typical for the better spec caps. It's referring to the discharge resistor fitted across the capacitor to leak away any charge voltage that might otherwise linger after being disconnected from the supply (potentially up to to a max of 370 volt in extremis).

Reply to
Johny B Good

If the starter is electrically the same, then a bit of p butchery and soldering might well get the new starter bulb thingy into the old casing. Depends on how adventurous you are. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes it is, and these do die and sometimes it makes little difference that they have. Some starters are apparently missing of course and these have a different way of starting the tube usually you can tell as they kind of just come on, and don't flicker on with little pings. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The corner shop had packets of those little starter things for ?1.29p, yeah I know its dear. I showed one in and nothing happened. Given the age of the thing its not worth messing with.

Reply to
Mr Pounder