flat roof

Have been pondering what to do with my son's garage roof that is leaking badly. It seems to consist of a 4" thick slab of concrete that overhangs the walls by about a foot. Ugly looking thing. I can't see the full details ATM since the whole thing is covered in vegetation. My initial thoughts were to use a one piece edpm membrane, but it looks like adhesion to the concrete might be a problem. A moisture curing liquid coating might be easier, or even just felt and tar. Anyone familiar with this type of construction and/or the waterproofing of old concrete? Doesn't need to look great as it's some way from the house. TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , stuart noble writes

Sounds like a perfect job for fibreglass, durable, no problem with adhesion and you can colour it to your choice.

If you want to cover the ugly edges you can get ready made fibreglass flashings that you simply bond to on the top coat, very effective.

Kits for this are available online, I'd probably add one more coat of glass than they advise and it should last forever.

On EDPM I'd expect it to hole eventually if it was walked on.

Reply to
fred

Second the fibreglass, but if you need to lay it this time of year you may have problems getting the substrate dry and getting enough warmth to cure the resin.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

That's why the moisture curing urethane sounded like a good idea, but that should be applied to OSB board or similar apparently. Not surprisingly, nobody wants to guarantee adhesion to concrete.

I know you can accelerate the cure of fibreglass resin but that gets a bit technical in winter I believe.

Reply to
stuart noble

A 4" thick concrete slab for a roof?? Who comes up with these barmy ideas?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My fathers outhouse was like that. Waterproofed by a blow lamped on felt roof cover.

Reply to
dennis

Whoever built the outhouse & coal store attached to my M-I-L's house?

Reply to
Huge