Fixings to a concrete floor.

I am soon to start a job that I have been planning for some while and part of this involves taking up the screed floor in a living room extension. I then intend to fit a new t&g floor in both the living room and extension. I was intending to fix brackets somehow to the slab then fix battens to the brackets to take the t&g. I am assuming that I can hire some sort of tool to anchor fixings into the concrete to secure the brackets. The question is what can I fix quite a few brackets with?

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Use some treated 3 x 2 as the base and just screw them into the floor with 3" tens. Use packers, a long level and a couple of stringlines to get them level. You might want to put DPC undr the 3 x 2. You can get away with tile batten if you haven't got the depth to put a 3 x 2 in place.

A good exuse for getting a decent level and an SDS. (For which see this group's earlier posts.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Ditch the brackets and fix right through the battens with masonry screws - you can use the same drill bit through the batten & into the concrete all in one.

Reply to
Phil

What about the dpc - wouldn't that be under the screed?

Reply to
adder1969

The message from "Kev" contains these words:

Just glue the battens straight to the concrete.

Reply to
Guy King

I am led to believe that the slab is about 6 inchs thick with the dpc under that.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I can't say that I've heard of a masonary screw, is this some kind of self tapping screw for concrete. I'll have a look on Screwfix.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

There will certainly be a few holes to drill so as you say a good excuse to get an SDS drill.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Why not nail the battens in with Hilti gun?

Or glue them with one o many glues now available?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Eventually. 3" down. Screws and rawlpugs are not noted for their porosity though ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher