Cracked acrylic wash basin

In a temper my son decided to crack our wash basin. I presume it's acrylic.

Are there any glues or methods of repair anyone here can recommend?

It's a coloured suite and I really can't afford to replace everything.

Reply to
Fred

everything.

And your son is now living..... where precisely .... !

I feel glues are probably not the way to go - shame if it gave way when full. I'd just put a white one in and reckon to change the rest of the suite as and when you can. We had a guest who managed to drop her hair drier though an acrylic basin in the guest room. Only took half an hour to replace it - huge appologies at breakfast then she went out and was VERY suprised it was replaced when she came back for lunch !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'd sooner have hairline cracks and have it the right colour for the time being.

I was surprised, or should I say disappointed, how thin it was. Yes it was empty. If it had been full I doubt it would have broken. And yes he's still living with us! I hope this is a lesson to him as well as me.

Reply to
Fred

Has it got fibre-glass re-inforcement?

What colour is it?

Can you get at the underside of it? Is the underside "on show"?

You might be able to use a car body repair kit, the sort which contain fibre-glass matting. Mix up some resin, fill the crack, hold it together with stretched-on tape. Peel off the tape when the resin has set. Patch the basin underneath with matting and resin. Note, cellulose thinners on a cloth will wipe away resin before it has set. Test to see what the thinners might do to your basin before using them, just in case! You can polish the resin by using wet'n'dry paper, used wet, fine grade. Use 600 grit for finishing off - rub the faces of two pieces together to wear it a bit for the final polish, which you can use Brasso for instead of water, then just Brasso on a clean cloth.

You can get clear-casting resin, various "proper" polishes, and flour-grade wet'n'dry, but *if* polyester resin is compatible with whatever you've got, the car stuff will do (don't use too much hardener, or it'll make a pink resin! Clear cast may be better).

This'll take most of a day, on and off, I should think.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Try milliput. Or very thin CA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't you claim on your insurance? Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

A new white washbasin won't cost that much. Fitting it would probably be less work than repairing the old one. You can change the rest of the coloured suite later, when it suits, or do both the basin and toilet and leave the bath for now.

There are millions of suppliers.

Christian McArdle

Insurance? 'Fraid not!

Reply to