Fixing laptop battery packs

Fire extingushers don't work on Lithium batteries. They are basically fireworks - all the chemicals for the reaction are contained inside, and starving of oxygen, or spraying with water, or spraying with fire inhibitor will have no effect at all. You just have to wait until it's burned out, and try and stop it igniting anything else (for which a fire extinguisher might be useful if you didn't waste it all on the battery).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, but how come " the CPU runs slow if the mains isn't plugged in", if the only thing happening is the battery not being fully charged?

Reply to
Dave W

prolly because thast a different thing altogether putting it in maximum discharge time mode.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which is what I was saying. You think the battery is also being undercharged - I doubt it.

Reply to
Dave W

Almost all of them do to some extent if you run the portable forever on mains power with the battery held at almost at full charge all the time. The better designs don't molest the battery quite so badly.

But to slow the charge rate down you actually want the machine running flat out whilst it is being charged. The current which isn't being used ends up in the battery. It charges much faster when switched off!

The normal procedure is for the CPU, display and disk to only run at flat out maximum performance with no compromises when the laptop is on mains power. The rest of the time it should run at either best battery life or some intermediate performance setting.

What kills a laptop battery is leaving it on float power for days and weeks at a time with never a cycle down to a reasonable discharge. I reckon you can kill one in about 6 months of consistent over charging.

All my laptops have eventually failed this way as the battery pack also loses capacity slightly with each charge cycle too. Just nothing like as quickly as it loses capacity by never being discharged and always forced to accept additional current when it is already brim full.

Reply to
Martin Brown

What ACTUALLY damages them is a permanent high state of charge. (or high currents, but chargers don't to that)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's probbaly a setting somewhere that may be user changable. Therere's a similar thing on the ipad althouygh it's not for charging it's diffult is not to snych if the ipad isn;t connected to the mains (or charger)

Reply to
whisky-dave