Fix garage door?

Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for next time. The main problem is that it doesn't come up properly. It opens maybe a third of the way, and then you have to heave it up the rest of the way. Even then, it wants to come back down again. There is a long thick horizontal spring that twists as the door goes up and down, and I'm guessing that it has come undone in some way and lost tension. It doesn't seem to be broken. Can anyone suggest something I can do with it next time I'm there? Or is it impossible to fix without some kind of tensioning tool?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Those Hendersons don't last so well. If you can't fix the mechanism readily, I like the arm & counterweight type best.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

TBH, I think it would even work better with the whole mechanism removed. ATM, it actually prevents you from opening the thing up.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Could be a broken spring or simply one of the cables broken. Just possible that a cable has come off a pulley or the pulley pivot sheared off. Take enough photos on the next visit to identify the make and model, perhaps using google image search so you can get the spare parts. there are web companies that supply bits for legacy doors of the common makes.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Lots of youTube videos, but for safety best find the instructions for your door.

e.g.

Done it, replacing cones and cables as well. It's a two man job, pretty dangerous if you slip with your spanner and unleash it all on your knuckles and other parts.

Happily, we didn't - but I wasn't the one holding the spanner....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Doesn't usually require special tools (just big balls and eye protection) methods differ according to manufacturer/type but when you know that have a look on youtube - lots of "how to's there"

eg

Chris B

Sounds likely that the cables have jumped off the cone pulley - or even snapped.

I found a local guy who fixed mine - he carried the spares. The spring frigtened me a bit - I had adjusted it once - but it left me "respectful".

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yip spring or cable broken or unattached. I have fitted new cables twice and springs once. It is easy enough but you must have the correct instructions and proceed with caution.

Try and get some pictues of it and we maybe able to help further.

Reply to
ss

Long ago I used fishing line, a hook for it to go over and a weight made of random junk. It was for something smaller than a garage door. A bit crude, cost near zero, effective. Use a pulley on a nail instead of a hook & it works very well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's what I did. Handily, the original supplier had pasted their number on the inside of the door so I got them to do it.

There's enough energy in the spring to take your fingers off so either make sure you have the correct instructions for the door or get someone experienced in. This is not an area of DIY where you can just work it out as you go along.

Reply to
Graham Nye

Mine uses two springs. replacing a failed cable was an interesting experience with a lot of rope and levers involved.

Reply to
Capitol