Fitting an inset sink

Been putting this off for months but I have to bite the bullet some time this summer.

Standard setup with a 2 metre run of B&Q carcasses and worktop. Question is, how to do the tap connections behind the carcass backing board. Even with flexible connectors, I don't see how I can join those to the copper pipe, or get to the tap tails, with the backing board in the way. Perhaps I could support the worktop at both ends and leave a gap for the 1000mm base unit that will take the sink. Without the adjustable legs I could probably then slide the carcass under the sink, re-fit the legs, and jack it up to meet the worktop.

Thinking out loud here. Anyone got any suggestions?

Reply to
stuart noble

mmm hope this isn't a "sparks for the grinder" job..... heregoes:-

last couple of sinks I recall doing the tails etc came out *in front* of the backing boards whiich were (had to be) cut to get the H&C supplies near enough.

Presumably the sink waste has to go out through a hole in the board too?

also altho it's "all on show" leaks are easy to spot :>)

(and who looks that close anyway once it's full of bleach bottles and detergents etc?)

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Your tap connections are unlikely to be behind the back board of the cupboard unless it's a very deep sink and/or a very shallow cupboard, so you bring the h+c pipes through the back and connect up inside the cupboard.

Reply to
pcb1962

In that case wouldn't it be easier to leave the pipes where they are (bracketed to the back wall) and run flexible connectors behind the back board?

I can't imagine how the original plumber did the taps on the current lay-on type sink I'm replacing. I guess he must have taken the side off the carcass to get anywhere near the tap tails.

Reply to
stuart noble

The wall behind my sink is something you wouldn't even want to catch a glimpse of when browsing the household chemicals :-)

Having a gap at the back of the carcass for services, and then running pipes inside the cabinet doesn't sound ideal, but may be necessary I suppose.

Reply to
stuart noble

I didn't bother fitting back board under the sink, but being an IKEA unit, the sides and bottom go all the way back to the wall anyway, so it didn't make much difference. Not sure off-hand what the B&Q ones end up like without the back board.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

mmm thinking on is the backboard made of hardboard? could it be gently bent and "sprung" into place after the taps are plumbed to your satisfaction? ISTR on some units they just slot into a groove at the sides and bottom....

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

IIRC the B&Q back board is slotted about 100mm forward of the back edges. It would be tempting to leave it out if the wall behind the unit was in better condition. I could do without having to accurately holesaw the waste pipe outlet too (and buy the whole kit for a one-off job).

Reply to
stuart noble

Virtually every sink I've come across is plumbed like this oncluding new builds. Some of the plumbers were also clearly on LSD when they ran the pipes.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

daft question but who/what is urging you to do it this (difficult) way? JimK

Reply to
JimK

Here's a picture of one I did recently:

supply comes up from floor level behind the panel, isolator valves accessible through the 2 holes below the shelf, then 90 degree bend into the cupboard. These are Howdens units, space behind the panel is about 8cm.

Reply to
pcb1962

Fit the cupboard without the back. Do all the plpumbing. Fit some battens and a new removeable back in front of, and hiding, the plumbing. Lose a little depth, but it's only the under sink cupboard.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Except that the waste has to go through it, so it would have to be in 2 sections to be removeable

Reply to
stuart noble

H+C supply comes up from floor level behind the panel, isolator valves

The holes for the isolator valves is an interesting idea.

Reply to
stuart noble

It's seeing how proper plumbers do it I suppose. No pipework in the cupboard, and a neat hole for the waste. I may have to compromise of course...

Reply to
stuart noble

ah.... do you own such an installation already? they don't sound very common :>)

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Yes. Same guy that did our heating 25 years ago, and his pipework is a joy to behold. Alas, mine probably won't be

Reply to
stuart noble

if so I can only imagine he could do it by somehow "springing" the cupboard back into position after plumbing completed (and tested!) - how else could it be done?

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

The old one is a "sit-on", roll front, 625mm width sink, so no continuous worktop to think about. I imagine he took one side of the carcass off to get to the tap tails. Actually I'll miss the big bowl size, and would replace it with the same type (but 600mm) if it weren't for the problems of butting a worktop up to it, and having to tile behind the s/steel upstand at the back. The advantage I suppose would be that, with flexible connectors, you could pull the whole thing out as a free standing unit to change taps or whatever.

Reply to
stuart noble