Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there!

Page 1 of 2
I need to change the aerial on my roof, and I was hoping for some useful advice before I go up there. The problem is, that the roof is a little unusual - rather than the normal inverted 'v' there are also side angles too which are quite sheer. See picture
http://www.dmaz.demon.co.uk/house.jpg my house is also the middle of a terrace, so there's no access from the sides.
So any kind soul feel like giving me some advice? - even if it's 'get a professional'. (in which case how much do you think that might cost?)
Thanks.
Dave

Know anyone with a helicopter? <g>
Seriously, you'll need two ladders. The first one - probably of the extending variety needs to lean against what you call the side angles of the roof, and to reach a little way above the level where the slope changes. The second one - of the roof variety, with wheels and apex hooks one end - needs to lie on the final bit of the roof. [You will have to carry this up the first ladder, slide it up the roof on its wheels, and turn it over when it gets to the top].
The two ladders then need lashing firmly together - whereupon you can confidently climb from the first to the second and hence to the top. [I assume that the aerial mast is fixed to the chimney?].
Roger
David Aldridge wrote:

Reminds me of the story of the guy who threw rope over roof to hold onto in such a situation. He tied it to towball of car. Wife did not know and drove car off pulling guy over roof to his death.
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:27 +0100, "BillR"

Was that just after she renewed his life insurance? ;)
Andrew
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:27 +0100, BillR wrote:

Yup, I'd second that. Don't do a Rod Hull.......

Who says Darwin didnt know what he was talking about :-)

Can't help with your problem, David, but do be careful if you get up on the roof.
I have a vivid memory as a child of about 4, watching our first aerial installed in about 1951. The installer was on his own and used a single long ladder with no safety equipment, and managed to kick the top of the ladder once he was on the roof. The ladder fell over, of course.
Our garden was on the side of a hill and we had to climb a number of steps to reach it, so we kids were able to watch on a level with the roof. I remember staring with fascination, wondering what this man was doing, shouting and hanging onto our roof for dear life. We hadn't even realised what was going on, since the TV was meant to be a surprise for us, and we'd just been sent up into the garden to keep us safely out of the way while he was working.
Thankfully, eventually we realised there was a problem and ran to get Mum who managed to reposition the ladder.
Barbara

ROFLMAO !!!!! Now that's a memory worth holding on to. :-))
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Thanks. Unlike another memory which would probably amuse others just as much - but didn't me at the time :-)
When I was much younger I lived alone in a first floor flat. The flat of the elderly woman below was slightly larger than mine so that there was a small bit of sloping roof, over her bedroom, outside one of my windows. Her bedroom ceiling developed a very irritating leak and it was fairly obvious that a small area between the roof and a ridge might be the cause. It looked as if a good helping of mastic might solve the problem, at least temporarily.
Neither of us had money to throw away, the landlord took about 5 years to deal with any such problem, and I'm disinclined to ask friends to do a job if I can manage it well enough myself, so I decided to try DIY. Lacking a long enough ladder, the obvious route was to climb out of the window and cross about 3 feet of roof. There was a sturdy concrete ridge I could sit on to do the work. I wasn't stupid: I roped myself very securely to the window so that I couldn't have fallen far, and asked the old lady to be there while I did the job so there was someone to dial 999 if anything went wrong.
Everything went brilliantly until the time came to get myself back inside. Then I panicked, I couldn't work out for the life of me how to stand up from my safe little perch get back inside, and the three feet to the window seemed a mile. It must have taken about 10 minutes for me to talk myself back to rational thought - it seemed like hours. But phoning for help would have seemed like a greater embarrassment even than falling - I could just imagine all those macho firemen having a giggle behind my back at this silly panicking woman.
Once I got my head together, of course, the trip back to safety was very easy and entirely uneventful. But I've never tried it again, and that memory is one I'd rather forget!
Barbara

Go on, rub salt into the wound..........
Barbara <grin>

I could - but its a squeeze getting up there!
I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference in reception be?
Dave.
"David Aldridge" wrote | "John Flax" wrote | > Have you considered putting an aerial in the loft? | I could - but its a squeeze getting up there! | I need to get a good strong reception - what would the difference | in reception be?
Could be as little as 10% of an external rooftop aerial.
Owain

an idea. In many areas the analogue and DTT signals are in different groups, so a type W aerial is required.
--
Toby.

NTL. Bringing you yesterday's news today, and a bit of last week's. Maybe.
David Aldridge wrote:

That depends entirely on how high up it is, what teh roof is made of and where you are in locatin to teh transmitter.
In my case recpetion is perfect ith a GOOD loft mounted aerial, pointed at my local transmitter, which is almost direct line of sight about 12 miles away.
I am going sideways through conventional tiles at that point. chicken wire coated thatch part of roof proved less optimal :-)

have you considered a satellite dish instead?
If you dont want to subscribe to Murdoch's empire, you can still get a dish and digibox without subscription and You can get BBC, ITV and CH4 without subscription.
The cost of dish,digibox + professional installation is similar to that of a TV aerial!
Of course, if you are tempted to subscribe to more channels, then the cost of the dish, digibox and installation is next to nothing! (minimum contract 12 months)
Brendan.
If you dont like the Murdoch empire

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Yes you can I have been watching terrestrial tv through a satdish for about six months now
--
Steve R

it's possible because you cannot get the FTV card any more.
There is also some talk of Sky changing the encryption so that even existing FTV cards will not work.
This does not apply to BBC channels as they have gone unencrypted, which is what caused the whole situation.
--
Tim Mitchell

writes

If you have a FTV card (ie. not a Sky subscription), then I'm pretty sure you'll find that you'll lose all non BBC channels shortly.
As of July 11th, BBC moved from FTV (encrypted and need a 'free' card) to FTA (no encryption, no card needed). BBC was the major source of cash for the card issuance, and now that BBC have pulled out of that (no need for cards, so why should the BBC fund it), the FTV market has collapsed (ie. you can no longer get any more FTV cards). This means that you can't get a new card.
There's also some dispute about the future. Some people (even with the 2nd issue Sky cards who have closed their subscription and are now just FTV cards) have found that ITV, C4 and C5 are now no longer viewable without a full Sky subscription. AFAIK, these channels are now pulling out of the FTV market (without a card issuer - there is no future in FTV) and will shortly (if not already) require a full Sky subscription to get ITV, C4 and C5.
Any dispute about this? Don't ask me - go to uk.tech.digital-tv where this has been discussed to death for months.
writes

Fancy paying to see the adverts on SAT that you can see for free on terrestrial. One step forwards and one back...
--
Tony Sayer