Fitting aerial on roof - how to get up there!

That depends entirely on how high up it is, what teh roof is made of and where you are in locatin to teh transmitter.

In my case recpetion is perfect ith a GOOD loft mounted aerial, pointed at my local transmitter, which is almost direct line of sight about 12 miles away.

I am going sideways through conventional tiles at that point. chicken wire coated thatch part of roof proved less optimal :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who says Darwin didnt know what he was talking about :-)

Reply to
Dave

Thanks. Unlike another memory which would probably amuse others just as much - but didn't me at the time :-)

When I was much younger I lived alone in a first floor flat. The flat of the elderly woman below was slightly larger than mine so that there was a small bit of sloping roof, over her bedroom, outside one of my windows. Her bedroom ceiling developed a very irritating leak and it was fairly obvious that a small area between the roof and a ridge might be the cause. It looked as if a good helping of mastic might solve the problem, at least temporarily.

Neither of us had money to throw away, the landlord took about 5 years to deal with any such problem, and I'm disinclined to ask friends to do a job if I can manage it well enough myself, so I decided to try DIY. Lacking a long enough ladder, the obvious route was to climb out of the window and cross about 3 feet of roof. There was a sturdy concrete ridge I could sit on to do the work. I wasn't stupid: I roped myself very securely to the window so that I couldn't have fallen far, and asked the old lady to be there while I did the job so there was someone to dial 999 if anything went wrong.

Everything went brilliantly until the time came to get myself back inside. Then I panicked, I couldn't work out for the life of me how to stand up from my safe little perch get back inside, and the three feet to the window seemed a mile. It must have taken about 10 minutes for me to talk myself back to rational thought - it seemed like hours. But phoning for help would have seemed like a greater embarrassment even than falling - I could just imagine all those macho firemen having a giggle behind my back at this silly panicking woman.

Once I got my head together, of course, the trip back to safety was very easy and entirely uneventful. But I've never tried it again, and that memory is one I'd rather forget!

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

Get a professional. They'll advertise in the classifieds in your local paper.

I got a firm to run an FM spur to my bedroom (I'm a Radio Four junkie) and they stung me 30ukp. Obviously your situation is more complex, needing a new aerial (replacing, presumably?), so they'll advise on specification and do the job for you.

It's not much help, but hth.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

In article , Dave Plowman writes

Really suggest that you get a rigger in for this one and a CAI member that knows what he's doing and check he's insured. Those tiles look like a disaster area to me. They'll be a roofing ladder required and something to take or spread the load under that where it meets the extension ladder up from the ground. Also you'll need someone who is used to what he's doing not to break and tiles whilst lashing the chimney.

Just get a pro in for this one. I used to do this work years ago on a daily basis and I wouldn't fancy this one:-((..

And I know what I'm doing!..

Reply to
tony sayer

"tony sayer" wrote

If you don't yet live in a Freeview(DTT) area, then a wideband aerial may be an idea. In many areas the analogue and DTT signals are in different groups, so a type W aerial is required.

Reply to
Toby

"BigWallop" wrote

Go on, rub salt into the wound..........

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP!

I have decided that I'd rather be safe, so I'll pay someone to put one up - I've had a quote of £105 for the complete job including a high gain aerial for DTV and all the bits and running the cable into my lounge which seems reasonable.

Thanks Again

Dave.

Reply to
David Aldridge

"David Aldridge" wrote

It does sound so - and a wise choice, I think.

Despite my amusing memories, there can be a very serious side when inexperienced people climb ladders or fail to ensure they have the right safety equipment. My brother was painting an upstairs window when the ladder slipped. He landed on his feet but pain later forced him to go to the hospital. He'd cracked 3 vertebrae and had to spend six weeks flat on his back in hospital.

If that wasn't bad enough, there was a work to rule of hospital staff at the time. That meant his care wasn't as good as it might usually have been and every visitor had the unnerving experience of walking through a vocal, not particularly friendly, picket line - some ancillary staff seemed to think patients' visitors should be banned in support of their pay claim. That was very frightening for his small children who badly needed to visit him often for the reassurance that Daddy, who had suddenly disappeared from their world, was ok.

He recovered fully. His son, aged about three at the time and a very sensitive child, had seen the accident and the consequences, and it took him far longer to recover from the distress and the nightmares that one day Daddy wouldn't come back.

Barbara

Reply to
<Barbara

In article , 666 snipped-for-privacy@hack.powernet writes

Fancy paying to see the adverts on SAT that you can see for free on terrestrial. One step forwards and one back...

Reply to
tony sayer