Fitting a letter box

A letter box was fitted for me - but it's loose (it rattles in the door - the bolts can't be tightened sufficiently). I think it should have some kind of spring loaded screw to hold it close to the door. Does anyone know what this kind of fitting is called/where to get one?

Reply to
spencer

If the whole thing rattles i.e. not just the flap, sounds like the bolts are too long. You could maybe use washers if the gap isn't too big

Reply to
Stuart Noble

By whom. If you paid a company to fit it get them back.

Reply to
SJP

The bolts are obviously too long for the thickness of the door, and need either shortening (preferred option) or packing with washers (bodge). Unless, of course, they won't tighten because they've been cross-threaded - in which case the threads in the letterbox itself have probably been wrecked and the whole thing will need replacing.

Did you *pay* someone to fit it? If so, get them back to sort it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You mean a letter plate I expect, with two bolts through the door? If so, if you take it off, the bolts should unscrew easily from the plate, whereupon they can be shortened as required.

Hang on, assuming you paid for someone to do this - get them back to sort it out!

David

Reply to
Lobster