Letter Tiles

Does anyone know where sells tiles for making a house name or sign - lettter by letter ? They are normally about 3 x 2 ins and have a decorative border. Many houses seem to have them , but not know the origin. All my enquiries in West Dorset fail.
On enquiring on another group I was told B&Q stocked them - not round here at least! Any other ideas please.
Many thanks in advance,
Stuart Allison
Stuart A wrote:

My in-laws brought theirs back from Spain. Maybe a good excuse for another holiday?? :o)
On 18 Jan 2006 16:27:25 -0800, Stuart A wrote:

They are now illegal under the 2001 Bad Taste Act.
--
Nigel M

snipped-for-privacy@thegroup.email.invalid says...

As is your response to the OP's perfectly reasonable query.
--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:48:57 -0000, Ziggur wrote:

Want to vote?
--
Nigel M

They might be, but making a house number visible seems to be a dying art. At one time it would be large characters as part of a window above the door. As would a house name, if it had one. Now most seem to be ashamed of others being able to find their house easily. Especially postmen.
--
*Windows will never cease *

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:05:44 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I believe it's actually illegal to not have your house number or name displayed at your door.
--
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:44:31 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine wrote:

It would be a bit pointless where I live, you can't see the houses from the road.
--
Nigel M

snipped-for-privacy@thegroup.email.invalid says...

Are you 5'2", with thinning hair, a goatee beard, and leather patches on the elbows of your jacket?
--
Ziggur

"S'ils te mordent, mords-les"
On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:07:33 -0000, Ziggur wrote:

No, but why do you ask, is this your type?
Mordez-moi!
--
Nigel M

About the response I'd expect from someone using the soubriquet of a 1950s school boy. Any more useful responses welcome.
Regards to all Stuart Allison
On 20 Jan 2006 15:20:18 -0800, Stuart A wrote:

What's the matter with this group ATM, it seems to be turning into uk.d-i-y.no-sense-of-humour.
In an attempt to be helpful (and with a possibly more tasteful solution) have you considered transfers?
Talking of bad taste, have a look at this Xmas decoration, isn't it the worst thing you have ever seen?
http://www.webhost-online.co.uk/molesworth/yuk.jpg
--
Nigel M

What's your problem with number tiles? Are you thinking of something different than everyone else?
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:35:27 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

I have no problem with *number* tiles, but letter tiles are naff.
Apart from being tacky, they are not PS and they don't kern; you may as well type the house name on an old typewriter and enlarge it with a photocopier. Tell you what, why not go to the local garage and see if they can make up the name on a number plate.
--
Nigel M

I must admit I've never seen any, or at least not noticed them.

I don't see why they can't be proportional, although obviously kerning would be a problem. I did rather wonder why the OP doesn't just have a ceramic plaque made up, although there's great scope for nastiness in those too.

No need - you can spot my house from the scrap cars in the front garden :-)
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:38:39 -0000, Rob Morley wrote:

A much better idea.
OK, it's horses for courses, it depends on your locality and surrounding area, I would suggest the following <grin>:
Rural area with houses more than 50m apart (where I live). Something very distinctive with the house name painted on, this helps delivery drivers to find you. For example cider barrel, millstone, cart wheel, bee hive (what I have)
Less rural area. A slice of oak from the tree that fell down in the hurricane painted with the house name.
Urban area that wants to be rural. A ceramic plate with the house name, even though the house has a number.
Urban area, middle class. Wrought-iron gates with the house number integrated into the design.
Urban area, ex-council houses. Stick on metal plates with italic numbers, plastic screw on numbers or letters. "Got any 'ose"
Urban area, council houses. Whatever the council put up.
Housing estate in Liverpool. Don't put your number on the door or the narcs will know where you live. Meet all your customers in the alley.
--
Nigel M

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

I have laser-printed cardboard inserts in the entry phone panel :-)
Owain
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:43:49 +0000, Owain wrote:

Ah, one I forgot.
The town or mews house. Depends if you are running a "business" from home. For residential property, a neatly printed insert in the panel is ideal. For others, a hastily scribbled bit of paper stuck on the door frame saying "For French Massage, ring top bell - if no reply phone 09087 123 666 and leave a message"
--
Nigel M

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

Up here they're tenements.
> Depends if you are running a "business" from

That's what the downstairs neighbours have ;-)
Owain