Fitting a bath for the first time. An tips?

I'm about to fit a bath for the first time. Anyone got any suggestions or tips so I get it right first time?

I've previously fitted a shower, toilet and wash basin without too much trouble, including the copper pipe soldering and waste pipes etc. Not done a bath before though. Any "gotchas" to look out for?

Reply to
David in Normandy

make sure its utterly rigid, if necessary by adding bits of wood, expanding foam and car bidy filler, and make sure its fastened rigidly to any walls somehow, if you intend to tile down to it. use silicone BEFORE tiling so the seal is independent of the tiles - you can then use a grout line at the base.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, lots of extra stiffening.

Reply to
dom

You can fill it with water so that when u put silicone sealant around the sides, assuming tiles are above, then when empty it will press up against that joint all the better....

Reply to
tony sayer

measure the height of the bath panel, so you know what height to have the bath. suggest chopping the bath into the wall plaster, fix with fittings provided, then as said before silicon seal before tiling, and screw the feet down.

Reply to
polly filler

Thanks for the excellent tips everyone! :)

Reply to
David in Normandy

+1

I ran 2x4" round all walls the bath would touch, carefully ensuring the 2x4 was dead level an dthe correct height.

Pop bath in, adjust feet so load is shared between feet and rim.

As as above, pump the gap between bath and wall with good grade silicone.

====

Drill tap holes first (if required) and check all plumbing parts fit correctly before installing.

I added a smear of LS-X silicone around the drain fitting and the overflow to ensure a water tight seal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I do not recommend chopping into the plaster. with many baths, this places the taps too close to the wall to make them easy to turn. You can achieve the same result by sealing the bath to the wall once you have worked out its final position.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Why .. don't they make bath with a sloped part from the edge to the bowl part so water tends to run down the slope into the bath and drain away rather than pool at the edge like it does on ours?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Roofing straps are ideal for securing the short ends of the bath to the wall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Look out for a re-enameled cast-iron bath? ;)

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yeah, the best one I ever did had a long side and the tap end fixed directly to brick, and then replastered and tiles. About an inch of tub edge buried in the plaster & tiles - fabulously stiff and there's no concerns about water leakage.

Reply to
Zapp Brannigan

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 19:35:04 +0100, "Zapp Brannigan" gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

We have aquired a bath in "new" house that has the tap end buried into theplaster and tiles. The side panal was mdf and swollen. Measured up for a plastic panal .... bath too short now for a standard size !

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st