Finding mains wiring inside walls

I need a way of tracing wires inside exterior walls and celings. The walls have timber frames wih plasterboard (i.e. with a cardboard surface and a gypsum core) on the inside, polystyrene foam insulation, building paper and weatherboards.

I do have a stud finder but that is useless on exterior walls because the outside of the plasterboard has aluminium foil on it, and the wires are beyond that. The stud finder emits a continuous beep within a foot of all the outside walls.

A radio tuned off station works well but not where there is foil.

If I buy some device there is no guarantee that it will work past the foil.

Maybe I could use a solenoid connected to headphones.

Reply to
Matty F

If you know any telephone engineers, ask if you can borrow their "tone and amp". It's basically a signal generator that produces a 1Khz signal. After disconnecting the mains wiring from the power (ONLY use this on DEAD wiring, NOT LIVE), connect the "tone" (as it's affectionately known) to a pair of wires and you then use the amplifier to listen for the tone and trace the route.

This is a bit expensive for a trial in case the foil masks the tone (hence my suggestion to borrow one first) but this is the sort of thing

Manticore

Put up some shelves. Nothing detects wiring quite like the process of screwing shelf brackets to walls. ;-)

(I sympathise, by the way - I have the same problem at our house. I was just trying to trace some of the older wiring last week, too, with a view to replacing it - so being able to find an exact path would be handy for me as well)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Maplin do a similarish one, but a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Tone generator won't work through the foil. You need to get a Cat & Genny. You can Hire them

Camdor

them

radio seems to work quite well through the weatherboards.

Reply to
Matty F

them

>>> --

q.v. :-

Frank Erskine

That depends - it may do or it may not. I can still hear the tone well, even when working on screened telephone cables so the tone does penetrate through _that_ foil. My only concern in this case is that I don't know how thick the foil backing on the boards is, nor how deep the cables are beneath the foil.

Reply to
Manticore