Wiring mains smoke alarms

Please help me to channel into the walls just once... :-)

I want to install two or three mains smoke alarms, and interlink them (so when one goes off, they all go off).

What type of smoke alarm is recommended for a hall way near a kitchen, a den, and an upstairs landing?

As I'll probably put the wiring into the walls before buying the smoke alarms, what cable should I lay to power and interlink all three devices?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

markatherton

Yes... that reminds me. I was wondering the other day why manufacturers don't combine burglar alarms with smoke alarms. Certainly would cut down on the wiring(?)

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Many burglar alarms support smoke alarms. I've got 3 on mine.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I bought 12v linked detectors and wired them into our house alarm on the

24hr loop.
Reply to
Pete Cross

An alarm panel with Personal Attack zone can also be used for smoke detection devices. The PA zone is a constant circuit, so a smoke detector with a normally closed switch (there are many on the market) can be placed on this loop.

There are also alarm panels with a zone or two, which can be programmed as fire detection circuits, so you're not stuck if you wish to place fire and intruder all in one panel.

Reply to
BigWallop

Interesting idea. I was actually thinking of the actual sensor housing having a PIR as well as a smoke detector. Also using the same wires.

Wouldn't you want a different siren for smoke? With a burglar alarm you run into the house and lock the doors... and the other, you run out...

Colin

Reply to
Colin

The alarm panel I installed in my last house in the mid 90s supported a separate fire circuit, and the PIRs had smoke detectors in 'em. There was a separate bell box connection for the fire circuit too, so I wired it up to an old firebell I had lying around :)

I think it was an Omnicron but I wouldn't swear to it.....the name MST3000 springs to mind too.

It's time to source a similar panel for this house too I think. After fitting mains powered detectors in other houses I want them here as well, as well as an extra couple of zones.

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

And be sure they also carry the battery back-up system.

Reply to
Jim

There might then be a problem with the positioning of such a combined device. Smoke detectors need to be away from the corners of walls and ceilings to aid a fast detection of smoke and PIRs are usually placed in such places.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Generally, PIRs tend to be put in positions where a smoke alarm doesn't work properly, in corners between ceiling and wall, or worse, ceiling and two walls.

If the alarm has fire detection zones or can program zones for this purpose, then yes. In my case, the siren for fire is three blasts and then a silence where the fourth would be, repeated. That's in addition to the smoke detector's built-in siren.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For siting recommendations & ability to d/load wiring instructions see

[Wiring is shown in Installer manuals/see tab for this page]
Reply to
Gel

see

for comprehensive advice [relevant to UK]

Reply to
Gel

see

Suggest D/load installer manuals [pdf] on Manuals page.

Reply to
Gel

I wrote a sect for the UK Selfbuild FAQ on this .... you can get the FAQ on

or original doc on SelfBuild site in files area:

Rick Hughes

Essentially because the placement requirements for the two things are different.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thank you all for your help, and for the excellent links.

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

My alarm gives a separate ring tone if the zone is set to be a fire zone. If you set it to be a 24h fire zone, you don't need to set the alarm for protection, either.

I've wired my intruder alarm up to my mains smoke detectors via an optional relay control output. You get the detector alarms plus the alarm buzzer. You'll even get the outside bell box going, when I can be bothered to fit it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle