Flourescent funnies

Maybe someone can answer this question!

We have two standard flourescent tubes at different locations in our "conservatory".

When it is completely dark with both lights off, one of them faintly flickers all of the time.

The other one doesn't but if I tiptoe and touch either of them, the area near and around my fingers will glow.

Any explanations?!

Reply to
R W

Switched in the neutral!

DG

Reply to
derek

Is there a (safe) way of checking if this is indeed the case?

Reply to
R W

If you have a multimeter, you could measure the voltage between live and earth when the light is off

If you get mains, then the live is live!

Reply to
Sparks

Or not earthed properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

around my fingers will glow.

Get rid of the Tulips in your conservatory or sign your post's ET.

On a more serious note, follow the previous suggestions or have the wiring checked if your not confident to DIY.

Mike P.

Reply to
Mike P

Demonic Possession!

Reply to
Martin

Are you near an electricity pylon? The large fields generated by them will activate a fluorescent lamp slightly, and your finger will provide an earth and concentrate the field.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

Is it possible that the on/off switch is in the wrong lead i.e. the neutral, instead of the live? My recollection was that 230 volts was enough to get slight fluorescence or to faintly glow a neon equipped pocket screwdriver/tester just through body capacitance to earth? So if the fixtures are sitting there (with switch in the off position) at 230 volts potential????? An idea anyway? Terry.

Reply to
Terry

You're crazy. That's the explanation.

Creeping round your conservatory in the dark stroking light fittings indeed. People like you should be locked up.

Reply to
Suz

and it's fluorescent...

Reply to
Suz

Seriously, this is called phosphorescence, which is a different luminescence to fluorescence. Fluorescence is immediate and what the tube is design for, but many tubes contain material which displays some phosphorescence which is delayed reradiation.

I would love to see phosphorescence in the sea. In some areas the plankton phosphoresces and at night leaves a ghostly trail in a boat's wake. And the coral glows too. I know it happens in Hawaii, another good reason to go there, as if I need another one.

Reply to
Suz

I was hoping someone would say that, because is entertaining.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Try Scotland. If you go to the western isles in Summer and climb up something tall, you can see some wonderful phosphoresence. I suspect the Gulf Stream is involved.

Andy Dingley