Filling holes (nothing to do with the wife swap thread)

Imagine a small round hole and imagine me trying to fill it. I apply filler to my spreading device, force some of it in to the hole leaving a bit proud above the surface, then wipe with the edge of my spreading device to remove the excess.

Now, say I wipe from 12 oclock to 6 o clock....why do I always end up with a recess in a line above 1030 and 1330 where the filler seems to get "pulled away" because of its viscosity?

Clearly my technique is wrong, but why?

Neil

Let it dry, then sand the excess off flush.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

Wet the spreader on the final few passes, but remember that It'll shrink below the surface anyway over time

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You made it too wet and it shrank when it dried as it was mostly water. Make it thicker and leave it proud. Shave it flat when it is almost dry.

Reply to
ericp

Bit difficult, I don't know what you look like.

I'll give it a go. Chris Evans with a filling knife. OK.

Spreading device being? Not the plastic thingy in the tub?

First of all, try this filler;

a new generation lightweight filler also sold as One Strike, Red Devil etc. You won't believe how good it is till you try it.

Get a proper filling knife, it should have a blade so flexible it will almost bend 90 degrees.

Top tip. Spit on the filling knife for the last wipe. Nothing works as well :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

you mixed it too sloppy, hence its slopping. Mix stiffer and it gets easy to get dead smooth without sanding. Wiping downward aids gravity, increasing the chance of slop a little, better to wipe sideways.

NT

Reply to
NT

The instant fillers in a tube ("dries in 10 minutes" etc) are good for small jobs. They aren't just pre-mixed ordinary filler.

Reply to
stuart noble