Ffs, did he think the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or something?

... the solid concrete roof would quietly float down to the ground, or something?

Grimly Curmudgeon

A real optimist.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

collap...Ads not by this site

You're not trained to think in the army.

Reply to
harry

something?

by this site

Thinking is the second thing that has to go, after the hair.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

something?

by this site

T least he wasnt standing inside beating the wall outwards

So how would YOU have done it ?

Reply to
fred

To be fair, the roof did just go straight downwards. What he didn't factor in is that the wall went outwards.

Reply to
GB

something?

Not in the officer class.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, he hadn't worked out his Dibnah Route for when "it's goin'" and maybe wasn't cautious enough once more than 1/4 of the roof slab was unsupported.

As has been asked "how would YOU have done it ?"

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

something?

by this site ..

It is conventional to remove something that is being supported by a wall before removing the wall holding it up.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The problem I can see is that the roof is one big slab of concrete, supported by thin walls. If you try to break up the roof slab you may destabilise the walls and the whole thing would still come down. I would think that safely demolishing that garage without machinery is pretty difficult.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

something?

by this site

Yes but the roof was re-inforced. That was not going to be easy to demolish in situ. I think he had the right idea but the wrong method. (Railway sleepers to hold it, knock out the wall, burn the sleepers or some such similar.

Reply to
fred

The only safe way I can think of, short of using a big machine, is to nibble bits off the concrete slab, starting at the front edge and working backwards.

Reply to
GB

I have seen this done by building a scaffolding framework inside the garage and taking the weight of the roof on Acrow props.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

acrow under the roof, demolish wall, tow rope round the acrow and builders van doing an F 1 start..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No its not.

You prop the roof an remove the walls.

Then remove the props. From a distance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As I have said in my other reply, I have seen it done with a framework of scaffolding inside the garage and the weight of the roof taken on Acrow props.

it, knock out the wall, burn the sleepers or some such similar.

It was too close to other buildings for anything other than a careful removal piece by piece. Had it been well clear of anything else, then a chain around the base and a winch anchored well clear of the structure would have worked, although, from his track record, he might well have found the things that can go wrong doing that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I'd have got a man in...and set up a camera in case I had the chance to make some dosh from Youtube.

Reply to
The Other Mike

DRILL A LINE OF HOLES IN STRATEGIC PLACES AND USE BLACK POWDER(oops cap lock)

Reply to
F Murtz

In sections, for the roof; for the wall, bang holes and put a wire hawser through them, and pull with a Landie, tractor, similar.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon