Ferm (Screwfix) Wall Chaser

Got a few cables to cut into the wall, and looking for alternatives to the (laborious) drill and chisel technique. Seems an angle grinder makes a hell of a mess. Does anyone have experience of the Ferm Wall Chaser

- Is it any good? Does it last? How close to a corner can it cut?

Thanks.

Reply to
Col

try one of these

one of these

lighter on the pocket.

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

I used a Bosch version of this and it was fine. Cost around £300 a year or so back (but I hired it).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You forgot to add this:

?id=11964&ts=46823and this:

of dust with your solution.

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Reply to
PoP

well id rather save £100 and hoover up afterwards. the choice is yours! (or rather col's)

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

oh and by the way...the dimond wall chaser only cuts 2 slots in the wall...cant be much better than using an angle grinder unless there is a dust extracter ataced to it...AND afterwards you need to chisle out the centre bit betwen the slots anyway!

:-p

steve

Reply to
R P McMurphey

these:

score both outside lines deeply with it first and then use it to knock out the middle.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In message , Col writes

I heard that although these chasers do a good job at cutting the channels quickly, they can be more disruptive to surrounding plaster too, especially in older buildings. True?

Kind regards,

Saeed

sr_ng 786

Reply to
Saeed

Not in my experience. With diamond blades, the edges are very smooth with little if any breakout.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I would echo that. They cut a very clean slot, and I never had any breakout.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Could you advise on the following please?

My understanding of these wall chasers is that they cut two grooves with separate blades. If that's the case am I right in saying that you have to following up with another operation to break out the stuff between these channels?

And how do you go about that?

Curious, because I'm seriously thinking one of these would look good in my tool store.

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Reply to
PoP

Yes.

I use an SDS drill with a chisel bit. It's very quick and easy with the two groves having been cut. Actually, it would also be quick and easy with a cold chisel and a 4lb hammer, if you didn't happen to have an SDS drill. Often, a light tap with the hammer just makes the material in the centre of the channel just fall out in a few large pieces, depending on the material the wall is made of.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Excellent! Thanks!

PoP

If you really must use the email address provided with my newsreader please be aware that the email is processed with spamcop. As a result your email to me might be treated as spam!

Reply to
PoP

I hired one over Christmas, when the neighbours were away. I'm now quite succesfully finishing the job with a pry bar, making very little noise. Sensitive me!

Reply to
Stephen Gower