Fein Multi Thingy

I know certain folk here rave about these. Could someone tell me if it would cut 18mm chipboard. Reasonably quickly or is it a slow process?

Application I'm thinking of is replacing sections of chipboard floors which go under internal walls - chipboard needs cutting flush. I'm sure it would be useful for other things as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:56:47 +0100, "The Medway Handyman" mused:

Yep, it'll do that at a reasonable pace.

Buy one, you need it in your life.

Reply to
Lurch

Sounds like good advice to me :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pretty quickly. Not circular saw speed, but not bad either. Most importantly, well controlled and accurate.

Yes I've done that. Obviously you need to watch out for where joists run and the support for the wall after removal of the floor section.

Certainly

Reply to
Andy Hall

It will cut nearly anything, but slower than any other power tool. OTOH, it will cut things in places that no other tool will reach. If you can get another tool in there (jigsaw?) then use that. If the chipboard is already fastened down, use the Multimaster.

I'm somewhat disappointed in mine. It's a stupid price, and as someone who makes furniture at a bench, I just don't need it that often. OTOH, for installation work it does things you just can't otherwise. As an on-site handyman, I imagine you'll love it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The blades tend to be very fine - so you get good quality of cut at a moderate speed. Probably not far off the speed you would achieve with basic non pendulum action jigsaw using a fine blade, but nothing close to what your decent jigsaw will do with pendulum action on. Chip is quite easy to cut. The slowest type of cut to make is a rip cut in heavy floorboards for example.

It is a great tool for getting you out of situations that would otherwise be very difficult to deal with. It will cut in places that you just wont get another power tool. A recent example was a plumbing job where right at the end it became apparent I needed to trim three inches from the end of a 40mm solvent weld stand pipe - buh other pipes prevented getting any conventional type of saw in there at an angle you could use it. Stuck a cranked narrow blade in the multimaster, set it at about 90 degrees to the body and just plunged it through the pipe - sorted.

As a sander it works significantly better that you would expect - certainly better than any detail sander I have tried so far. It also seems to use sandpaper sheets slower than conventional orbitals. The rasp is quite handy for removing hard glues in tight spaces, and the carbide blades are great for fine detail cuts in tiles etc. Recently used it to chop a perfect rectangle out of the middle of a tile (glued to a wall) to make way for a shaver point.

Reply to
John Rumm

Think you have summed up my thoughts - it certainly is a stupid price as are the blades & stuff - and I thought it would be slow.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Depending on how you look at it, the price of the basic tool is not too bad really. A top end delta sander would set you back something like £80

- 90, and you can have a multimaster basic kit for about £100 - 110 ish. The multimaster will outperform the sander at sanding, and does loads of other stuff into the bargain. The price of the blades is steep, although they last quite well (so long as you don't go trying to plunge the fine wood cut blade into concrete (DAMHIK)!

The first time you pick one up you realise it is a quality bit of kit.

Reply to
John Rumm