"Extremely expensive solvent"

This is a manifest injustice (at least as you have described it). I would simply sue the Landlord for the deposit. Make sure that you have as much documentary evidence as you can muster. Photos, agreement etc. Offer the builder a chance to make a _fair_ offering for cleaning the window. If he won't play fair then sue in the small claims court for the deposit.

The deposit must have been taken before April this year. If it was taken after that date you'll be so glad. Because the Landlord (builder or not) will be in some serious trouble.

Not lodging the deposit with the DPS (say). Not telling you where the deposit was lodged.

The book will be thrown at him - he is just the sort of landlord the law was made to combat.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I presume this was before the law requiring "Rachmann" to have to pay for the gas fire to be maintained and certified as safe.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Total bollocks. Get things moving with the agent, the bastard is operating a scam (whereby the £250 is might just not provoke anyone to sue him as he deserves).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yup, it was back in 1979. I don't forget things like that though.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Son's landlord (or rather the estate agent (from hell) was somewhat purturbed when (prior to the leaving inspection) the tenants produced a CD of photos of the state of the house on their arrival.

Eventually they got he deposit back.

Reply to
<me9

AVPIN 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And landlords are notorious for stealing deposits which is why the deposit scheme has been introduced.

Reply to
Mogga

Thought that would have been a good reason for it to be tenacious, having to last 6 months August to January... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, that sort of thing never goes on any more.

Reply to
Andy Dingley