External solid wall insualtion

I expect one bullet I ought to bite this summer is insulating our solid walls. Exterior will be the way to go for most of the house - three sides of it are rendered on 9" solid brick - the front elevation is more ornate brickwork, but relatively small (the house is deep rather than wide) and also has a fair glass are with two large bay windows. So the front I will dry line internally at some point. The rest I plan to clad in 50mm foil faced pir foam, then a layer of expanded metal lath, and finally some sort of rendered finish. A couple of down pipes will need some alteration, and the outside window boards will need making deeper, but other than that it looks relatively straight forward.

So two questions spring to mind:

Firstly fixings. I have seen the sort of thing I need - but don't know of a supplier. Basically I need something that can penetrate say 60mm of cladding and make a solid fixing into a brick wall. It needs a large head (say 50mm diameter) that can be rendered over. Other than retaining the insulation, its main job will be supporting the final finish - which may be reasonably heavy.

Secondly - final finish. Obviously one option is a traditional scratch and finish coat render, but what other options would work? I was wondering if any easy to apply spray on solutions might work - say a Tyrolean type of finish. (the existing render is a rough cast / dimpled type of textured finish).

Reply to
John Rumm

No guarantee of help, but it might be worthwhile looking through pages 18 to

23 of the link for clues.

Clot

the clips are £18 for 100 see here:

pir and clips)

A word of warning about this; it's not really a DIY job and you also need planning permission...finally, the render isn't a good idea neither as it cracks, allowing moisture into (or behind in most cases) the insulation, causing damp. When I've seen it done professionally, they use a weird 'plastic' type of render, which is some kind of polymer type stuff which is flexible and doesn't crack, it's also 100% waterproof.

If you measure your exterior walls in sq metres, it works out at about 50-60 quid a metre for the full job - scaff, insulation anf finish.

Phil L
.

seems interesting, i was going to order some just to see if they're what i need .. but Celotex Insulation Clips - 100 per box (remove) £18.36 £18.36 Subtotal £18.36 Current shipping is Shipping £25.00 Tax £6.50 Currency is British Pound Total £49.86

treble the price!

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)