Exposed Brick Fireplace

Hi

I've ripped out an old 70's fireplace to reveal the original Victorian opening. There is an infill of bricks which brick up the top half of the arch making the opening square which I plan on leaving in place. I want to cover the exposed brickwork inside the chimney breast with something. I've tried cleaning up the bricks using acid but some are damaged and would need to be chopped out, the cleaner wasnt that effective either. What and how would I go about lining the old brickwork. There isn't enough room to lay another course of newer bricks. Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

Thanks!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

If you are going to put a stove or similar in there then I would skim with a sand and cement mix.

When I've done this in the past I've always put a water repellent in the mix.

I suppose you could also plaster it out or even board it then skim.

If you really want to see the brickwork, then you'd also be suprised how much better they will look if just painted, even with the damaged bricks. After cleaning with acid and re-pointing, use a good oil based undercoat or concrete floor paint to adhere to the surface. It can look very effective.

HTH Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply

Reply to
Kalico

If you are going to put a stove or similar in there then I would skim

I wouldnt.

Reply to
N. Thornton

I just raked out some of the old loose mortar and repointed and I was surprised by the finish, well smart. I dont need to paint now.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard