Eurolocks - confused!

After all the recent discussion about Eurolocks I'm confused about why I even bother locking the door if they're so easy to defeat. Is there a range of Euro cylinders which can't be bumped, broken with a spanner or whatever other way is the low-life flavour of the month for getting past them? (Preferably a range which doesn't cost a significant portion of the value of the things its protecting.)

Tom

Reply to
NoSpam

difference in price to me would be around £30.00 pounds which is why the snappable ones are fitted,and even if they fail to break your lock,there are plenty of other ways for them to gain entry to your house.

Reply to
ALex

I recently bought my replacements from here. They claim to cover most weak points but whether they are effective or not, I can't really say.

Andy Cap

May be wrong, but I don't think they are that bad.

AIUI you can only snap a Eurolock if the barrel prodrudes from the door & you can get a spanner on it. If its flush with the door or handle plate you can't. Most door handles I've come across are attached from the inside so aren't easily removed.

I don't think bumping is as easy as the web sites selling bump keys say it is. I was given a set of lock picks & instructions & tried to pick a Yale type lock - nothing like as easy as it seems from the telly or films.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They are reasonably safe if they don't stick out of the plate. Some of the ones I have been advising people to replace have been protruding by about 25 mm!

Reply to
dennis

Can the device they use to snap the lock be used to break the handle plate away though, which would leave 12 - 15mmm exposed ? It could of course be chiselled off. I can't imagine they are that strong.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Oh it is! My first go was with a Union Euro Cylinder (A spare one I have in a draw), I took a key from a different lock that fitted, and mad it into a bump key, and opened it on the third go - I was quite shocked!!

I than did the same to the Yale on our back gate, and got through that on the second go...

Reply to
Toby

The ones I've seen have machine screws going from the rear handle plate through the door into threads in the front handle plate. I guess you could break the handle plate away, but it would be easier & quieter to break in another way.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've never tried a bump key, only traditional lock picks. You made your own bump keys rather than bought them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just two, as I had a box of old keys!

It's quite simple really, just need an old key and a small file!

Reply to
Toby

From photos I've seen they always snap off the handle plate, so I'm not sure it matter about a slight offset. I have my doubts your average burglar can use bump keys though, so used the handle store as quoted above to replace my locks. They also supply some sticky liquid to leave in the lock to soak into the pins thats meant to stop bumping, but who knows.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In some the screws go in to the plastic end pieces and they're a slide fit in the aluminium plate. It would be quite easy just to lever the whole plate until it broke or came off the plastic bits.

Reply to
PeterC

It's like anything, if someone wants to do something, i.e. break into your home, they will do it. We, can only try to deter the would be opportunist burglar. I fitted snap safe Mul-T-Locks and sash jammers to my french doors. Someone also told me to put a dog bowl outside the rear doors. If they think you have a dog in there, they may think twice and move on.

Reply to
Slider

Yes, can't stop professional criminals and looneys! I used to have a crowbar, a 14 lb. weight and about 10" of West Coast Main Line outside the door! Moved 'em now, but a 600x450 slab is easy enough to get up.

Got dogs on both sides but they're so nice they'd probably welcome intruders; they're also locked up when their people are out to stop them being stolen!

Reply to
PeterC

I agree, my brothers next door neighbours were broken into while they were at home and they had dogs. The thieves walked up the garden path, picked up the stone bird bath and threw it through the patio doors before walking off with the TV and video. The dogs didn't detere them at, nor did the fact it was daylight.

See above. ;-)

PS I have a 36" crowbar in the boot ATM so I could get into almost anywhere if I wanted to.

Reply to
dennis