EU: even less in common with them than I thought

We do have a law, it just excludes names rather than lists allowed ones

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's a bit like arguing that no-one (in the UK) would want to call their kid Zusan (or Zuzanne), because they could use Susan (Suzanne), yet if you look at the figures for registrations you will find that the "foreign" spelling now predominates.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , Java Jive writes

WTF are you crowing on about, you stupid stupid prat

I'm prolly as heavyweight a "folkie" as you 're likely to find, that doesn't mean to say I can't take the piss. How many people would you expect to have even heard the song?

"Sing it again just a bit lower, - no, I meant in the cellar"!

"............................nyaaaaaa!"

Reply to
geoff

In message , Java Jive writes

Actually, yes - it's sheep, isn't it

Sorry, I'm not a porridgewog,

Reply to
geoff

Jimmy Hutcheson used to do a good version of that.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yawn! Yet another ng poster with the abusive manners of an ignorant, brattish, spoilt child, but then what else is to be expected from someone who has the stupidity to sign themselves 'troll'? Go back to your playground.

Nor me, but it takes tact and taste to take the piss well, and you are clearly lacking in both.

I wouldn't go there if I were you, the temptation for anyone else to turn the key and throw it away would be too great.

In fact, as your posts don't really contribute anything useful to the group, I'll do it anyway ...

Plonk!

Reply to
Java Jive

In message , harry writes

They are a safety hazard. By the time you've sorted out which bit to read you've passed the bloody thing.

Reply to
bert

The haunting sound of the whistle on the Silly Wizard version does it for me

Reply to
geoff

I should dig out my old CDs - I haven't listened to Silly Wizard in ages.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I will never forget them at the Bromyard FF

It was their "Break", I had most of it on cassette somewhere

moving effortlessly from the faery dance to the dambusters march and back again

I subsequently got to know the cunninghams later

brilliant band

Reply to
geoff

I haven't been to a folk club or festival in ages - I was out of the UK for 25 years, and lost touch with all my folky friends...I was one of the organisers of a club in Edinburgh years ago.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It was about 10 years for me, but I came back to a crowd of people who had all settled down, got mortgages, had babies etc ...

And, I have never had a "proper job" since I returned 20 years ago

Reply to
geoff

Sounds familiar!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Oh dear. You really want to be in Ireland. We once got lost in Donegal due= to two things. The locals think it great sport to twist round the signpost= s and a lot of the signs are in Irish anyway. This wouldn't be so bad as we= had a Michelin map which gave the Irish names BUT Michelin had used Dublin= Irish and the signs were in Donegal Irish.

Haven't been back to Donegal since.

Then they renamed a town called ' Dingle ' Ex Irish Times.

"Dingle name change proves costly THE NEW double-barrel name for the west Kerry town of Dingle, finally passe= d into law this summer, is proving too long to incorporate into existing ro= ad signage and will cost tens of thousands of euro, according to a council = report.

The new name Dingle-Daingean U=ED Ch=FAis was chosen in a 2006 plebiscite o= f townspeople, many of whom had criticised the loss of the 700-year-old nam= e of their town under the Placenames order of the Official Languages Act in= troduced by then minister for the Gaeltacht =C9amon =D3 Cu=EDv."

Note, the town has been called Dingle for 700 years and they wanted to chan= ge it to Daingean U=ED Ch=FAis. The locals kicked up bloody murder and the = above combination is the outcome. WTF. Irish PC gone mad.

Reply to
fred

it to Daingean Uí Chúis. The locals kicked up bloody murder and the above combination is the outcome. WTF. Irish PC gone mad.

It would be unseemly to simply tell the Irish-only signers to f*ck off and die. After all, it is an imported language of the occupiers for

800 years, so a typical kludgy compromise was reached. Beats me why the f*ck it simply couldn't have been left alone, as the town was quite happy with its name and it was only the Irish-language feckers who upset the apple cart.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I always think this has something to do with the fundamental outlook of peo= ple. In the UK our 'constitution; is basically "you can do anything you w= ant except where laws have been specifically enacted to prevent it. The dr= aft EU constitution started at the other end begins by listing the things y= ou are allowed to do.=20

The attitude affects the freedom to choose names and also the freedom to ma= ke a will leaving you money to whoever you want. We take it for granted in= the UK that (leaving aside dependents) you can leave your money how you wa= nt. That's not the case is all Eu countries.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

hange it to Daingean U=ED Ch=FAis. The locals kicked up bloody murder and t= he above combination is the outcome. WTF. Irish PC gone mad.

But they make up so many words for new products, materials, devices etc. Ch= ildish. Its a dead language anyway and is now foisted on young and old. Its= compulsory in school yet I've met very few who could translate a simple pi= ece of Irish into English.

I think the Irish language speakers and their Welsh and Scots Gaelic counte= rparts should all be put on a small island somewhere and left to fight amon= gst themselves.

In Ireland there are Triple language signs on and around the Lough Erme boa= ting scene. Irish, English and Scots Gaelic. All on the one sign. Streuth.

Reply to
fred

fred wrote: [snip]

I got involved in the modifications needed to show Welsh on electronic road signs. Even native Welsh speakers hate them. Welsh words are too long to fit on the signs so abbreviation is necessary. The terms used are sometimes Welsh neologisms that old people don't know and it's simply faster to read English.

But the loony faction insist that their human rights are infringed if signs don't scroll between Welsh and English.

It takes so long to display that many drivers miss seeing the messages because as they approach it shows two pages of Welsh before scrolling to show one page of English.

Reply to
Steve Firth