EPC

We are in the process of selling our house through an agent and the agent has said an EPC is compulsory and it will cost us =A379 plus Vat,comments and suggestions please,many thanks

Reply to
leedsbob

ISTM you have 4 options: (i) pay it, (ii) find someone cheaper, (iii) find an agent who will ignore the law[1] or (iv) qualify as an energy assessor so you can DIY - which I assume is what you have in mind to be On Topic :)

[1] HIPs are suspended but not EPCs - see eg
Robin

It is compulsory (it is all that is left of the Home Information Packs).

Check the internet for the cheapest you can get them for.

They are worthless.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

30 second google

Yes it is compulsory

can apparently be compared here if you want to see if it is cheaper to save your agent's markup:

Invisible Man

£250, even in the cheap areas.

The course to become an assessor costs a couple of thousand, I've been told.

Reply to
John Williamson

And most of them will have "wasted" money on the HIP training so will have lots of debt to recover

tim

Reply to
tim....

> Costs can apparently be compared here if you want to see if it is cheaper

I'm surprised that agent's think that they can get away with a 100% mark-up. Surely 80 quid looks so overpriced that most people are going to investigate getting their own.

tim

Reply to
tim....

Given that moving house tends to be time consuming, expensive and stressful I suspect many people regard 80 quid as a drop in the ocean, compared with estate agent fees of a couple of grand or whatever.

Reply to
airsmoothed

bit like all the indemnities etc solicitors want to sell you when they are doing the conveyancing.

Reply to
Invisible Man

We let out a mid-terraced house through a management agency. At the last change of tenant we were told the same as you, £79 + vat. I told them that I would find someone else to do it as I thought that that was a bit of a rip-off, and they said that they only knew of one person doing it and this guy charged them (the agency), IIRC, about £65 + vat. Sure enough, I found someone cheaper

and now the agency uses him as well :-)

Reply to
John

The inverted commas aren't required.

Reply to
Huge

Pay it, forget about it, move on.

Reply to
John Rumm

The second point being what everyone involved will do.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed - as others have said, a pointless bit of paper.

Reply to
John Rumm

I find then a rather good way of finding out the square footage of a property when the EA has been too lazy to supply this information on their details

tim

Reply to
tim....

Could you elaborate on why they are worthless please |Martin?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Because no buyer or renter in the history of the universe has ever given a monkey's about them, or made a buying decision based on their contents...

David

Reply to
Lobster

I also consider them worthless, unless you are a provider. Please tell me how one is of value in our circumstances. We let what was a granny annex to holidaymakers, the heat and electric is included in the rent. The new legislation says we must have an EPC. Why?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Because nobody looks at them or cares about them - we've been trying to sell our house for the last 9 months, and nobody has even mentioned the EPC. And speaking to the guy who did it, the methodology is crap, anyway. Because we live in a large detached house, it's impossible to get better than about an "E" - the rating is in absolute terms, not relative ones - despite having about 18" of loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and modern double glazing throughout (all done for the selfish reason that oil is expensive, not because of some airy-fairy "green" nonsense) and CFLs where they make sense (about 50% of the lights in the house), we still only got an "E". The only way to improve it would be to demolish the house and build a smaller one, or rather a terrace of smaller ones. It's bollocks.

Oh, and it ignores external power use, so all those 500W floodlights blazing away are completely ignored. As would be, for example, a heated swimming pool, providing it was outside. If it's indoors, it gets counted.

Reply to
Huge