EPC

What does an EPC rating of 121 actually mean. It seems odd as A is 92. Anyone seen the details of how to work one out anywhere?

Reply to
dennis

It means that you're looking at Harry's house.

On a scale of 1 to 100, yes - 121 is "odd".

Oooh, no, mere mortals can't possibly know things like that. Numbers get put into a special - and undoubtedly expensive - bit of software which whirrs, clunks, sticks a wet digit in the air, thinks gently about knocking off early, then lobs a random number out.

Reply to
Adrian

Possibly that it's a non-domestic building?

Just to keep things simple (not) the scale for homes is turned "upside down" for commercial premises for which A is 0-25, B 26-50, etc through to G for >150. Except in Scotland where it's upside down but different.

Reply to
Robin

100 is deemed average energy use for a domestic house in the UK So 121 uses 21% more energy than the average house in the UK.

But the system is widely regarded as bollix. As was the rest of the HIP thing.

Some info here.

harryagain

Well we can see you don't understand EPCs as the lower the energy use, the higher the figure. This is a house not a factory. I take it you scored a low 50s and think its a good figure.

Reply to
dennis

Clearly you havent seen harry's house

NT

Reply to
meow2222

So the house we saw for sale a while back, with an EPC score of 1, was _really_ good, was it?

Reply to
Adrian

That wasn't a house it was the foundation trench. How can a house score 1?

Reply to
dennis

Just because he has thick wall insulation doesn't mean its going to get a good score. There are other factors.

Reply to
dennis

Did I claim it was that simple, or is there something in the water today?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Myfigure is zero. ie I have no energy bills. However if you were to apply the formula to my house, it would end up in the mid position. The main reason for this is that having no central heating, the assumption is made that I use portable heaters. (Which I don't).

The formula also gives wildly innaccurate results for other houses too. Look at the FAQs on the link I posted.

The assesser can't even be sure that cavity wall insulation is fitted. Or the construction of the walls. All that is generated is a worthless bit of paper. (Like the rest of the HIP)

Reply to
harryagain

It can score less than one.

But the EPC formula can't take account of these houses.

And they are becoming increasingly popular.

harryagain

There are even better.

harryagain

Your EPC score would be zero, would it?

Reply to
Adrian

Oh, yes. There certainly are...

Reply to
Adrian

No, his IQ.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's untrue as it can cope with solar heating and heat pumps as well as the more common stuff.

The last one I had done couldn't even see the cavity wall insulation hanging out the hole in the wall where the boiler flue had been ripped out an hour before he came.

Reply to
dennis

Its a waste of time, he hasn't worked out what is wrong yet.

Reply to
dennis