Enforced absence

I see nothing much has changed after my link was chopped by a nearby lightning strike during the Brexit vote!

It remains to be seen if Open Reach intend to charge for a visit where they determined that my router was fried as they had 4 vans in the lane plus a cherry picker only the next day.

The replacement router livened up the wi-fi and Devolo links but also highlighted an ethernet connection failure:-(

Webmail by i-pad and my wife's laptop worked but is frightenly clunky.

By a stroke of good fortune, one of our members was able to supply an ethernet card and spend a great deal of time sorting me out:-)

Thanks Tim.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Good to see you back again - your lack of posts was noticed but I assumed you were too busy with real life.

Reply to
Mark Allread

You are very welcome and it was good to see you (and yours) again. ;-)

And thanks again to you both for the hospitality.

And it was most defiantly a team effort (as I haven't been near Turnpike for a very long time). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And trust me, Tim's got an awful lot of 'read life' to be busy with! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Doh, 'real' .. ;-( [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Mind you, had I 'read' / followed the Turnpike migration instructions better Tim might have been able to get on with said real life a bit sooner. ;-)
Reply to
T i m

Some years ago I had a fax machine fried this way, luckily it was under warranty and Samsung acknowledged that the non direct strike should not have done this. it soon turned out that the protections circuit on the phone line was not fitted correctly on some of the motherboards, so they replaced the whole board with a new one for free. Then there was the Icom radio which lost its first stage mosfet which again was not a thing which is supposed to occur, and once again this was due to faulty manufacture and it was replaced free of charge.

Other weird things do happen in storms though. We never did find out what started the intruder alarm to trigger if lightening was nearby. In the end I took the system out as it was useless. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd have thought with all of this fibre optic stuff around that lightening damage should be far less common than it used to be. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Rural location/edge of village. When everyone else was getting plumbed up with underground green ducting, the suppliers took one look at the 8 properties spread over 400m and decided not to bother. BT stuff is all overhead.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Whilst it might help I don't believe it generally (ever?) comes as far as the house but only as far as the local cabinet? So, you would normally still have copper between the cabinet and the house and they often goes overhead (as per Tim's instance).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We have overhead wiring from houses to telephone poles here - in this street in Central London. Not common at all. Ours is the only street in the area - others all underground. Never did find out why.

Just had the BT fibre speed upgrade - as part of their price increase. Now getting 50 thingies per whatsit. Was 38 before. But absolutely f-all difference to anything in practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Still pretty common round here (we have such).

We saw something the other day that looked like overhead *power* running down a high street.

We had a similar speed upgrade offer from VM a while ago but I generally don't initiate them as I think it also starts a new contract?

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Unusual, I think, it urban areas but overhead power is *very* common in rural areas. Power supplies around us cross many fields on 'telegraph' poles before they are brought down the poles and into the various properties they serve.

Reply to
Mark Allread

Perhaps they asumed/realised? that running copper over those distances would make more sense for the difference gained with fibre optics against new copper.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Quite, I'd not seen it before (that I remember).

Understood.

Yup, seen that loads.

No, this was out in Essex somewhere and you could see some pretty heavy wires running on poles spaced a fairly close / regular intervals running along the pavement on one (or both, can't remember) of the road and branching off to the individual houses.

Much heavier than telephone wires and looked like they were insulated / isolated at the various mounting points (suggesting they were un-insulated voltage carrying cables).

This stood out because it was street of houses on a reasonably big urban road, rather than a bunch of houses in the middle of a field etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Used to be very common in smaller towns but a lot has been removed in recent times, I visited Littlehampton a year or so ago and some thing was "missing" since last visit some 30 years before then I realised all the green metal poles with four wires supported along the streets had been removed. A fair number of places still have some, this is Holsworthy Devon

Unfortunately on zooming in it gets obscured but the small object at the bottom left of the pole is a cast iron marker with the initials WDESC on it, the West Devon Electric Supply Company took over the Holsworthy undertaking in 1926, but if the pole belonged to the earlier company then it may date back to 1910.

Ok I have funny ways of passing the time while the missus is shopping. If any one else likes similar trivia then settle down with a cup of tea and peruse this site.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

You should see the lightening protection gear that has to be fitted to fire alarm systems installed in vulnerable parts of the USA.

Reply to
Andrew

Top end of the town is overhead power, 5 wires. Most of the town is underground though.

Once out of the town the power is almost universally overhead from the powerstation to customer... We used to have a two wire open flight from house to pole with transformer but they recently changed that to 35 mm^2 concentric. Noticeably less of a dip when the microwave kicks in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

eh? PON (Passive Optical Network, ie a single port at the head end is optically split to serve 32 customers) is perfectly capable of delivering 1,000 Mbps out to 10 km. Go to point to point on single mode fibre and you're looking at 10,000 Mbps and 40 km +

VDSL (aka "Fibre Broadband") will have started to drop off at 0.4 km from the cabinet and will be around 70 Mbps. Copper can't really compete with fibre, the only reason that FTTP hasn't been used for the "Superfast" broadband roll out is that trenching to every property is very expensive. Shoving a fibre duct down existing cable ducts and plonking in VDSL and wiring cabinets is much cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

En el artículo , Tim Lamb escribió:

Does it all come back to one or two cabs? Could it be a contender for FTTC? I seem to remember you may have mentioned issues with this in the past, maybe on uk.telecom or uk.t.broadband.

Ordered FTTC last week, BT line checker predicts 79.9Mbps, line is about

50m from house to cabinet (if tha). Openreach currently have cab open and are standing in a manhole Doing Things so I fully expect to lose service any moment now.

But the promised VDSL router hasn't arrived...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I'm a 100m from cabinet and get 75/19 - so 80 seems quite liklely.

Ah - I had mine a week beforehand.

Reply to
charles