Electronic Water Softeners.

Page 1 of 3
Anyone have any real world experience of these? Considering buying a cheap one from ScrewFix, but wanted to hear some 3rd party results first.
Cheers.

Please Google for this topic. The subject comes up regularly here, and the debate can get quite heated.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:36:50 +0000, Zapp Brannigan

OH NO!
This has been done to death.
Again and again and again and againandagainandagainandagain...
--

Dave

I have an Aqu-Dial electronic and it keeps away about 80% of scale.

IMM wrote:

Thanks. I have read the google archives, and am more confused than I was before, some people saying they do work, others saying theu don't etc etc.
I was hoping for a couple of poeple that say it worked for them, and I will buy one and give it a go (it's only 40).
IMM: One question I need to know. Do you have any of those things dangling from your rear car bumper to stop car sickness?? :-)
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:34:08 +0000, Zapp Brannigan

Just the furry dice........ :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

first.
They do look good in the Aston.

You won't have any problem finding a couple of people who say they work, so go ahead and buy one.
We'll be interested to hear if it works for you.
mike r

All the top water softeners people make them,. Even Fernox make one. If they did not work these companies would not risk their reputation.
Works a treat. Highly recommended.
http://www.fernox.com/whatsnew/main_ewc.htm
Which says:
"Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner Fernox has recently launched the solution to limescale in the home. The Fernox Electronic Water Conditioner, an electronic scale-reducing device protects your system against the damaging effects of limescale that can result in boiler or hot water cylinder failure.
Using the latest micro-processor technology the unit produces a complex modulating frequency waveform which causes the calcium carbonate to form clusters. This way it remains in suspension and does not accumulate inside the hot water cylinder or boiler, ensuring the system runs at peak efficiency and saving on heating costs.
Not only does the Electronic Water Conditioner prevent the build-up of further hard scale, it also dissolves existing scale, which will be flushed from your system.
Guaranteed for 5 years the Fernox Water Conditioner offers long term protection for the home."
Also: One, the WaterImp, is even "endorsed" by the Chemical Engineering Dept. at Bath University, http://www.waterimp.co.uk/scientific.html
Also:
DPS at: http://www.heatweb.com Recommend the Water King electronic de-scaling box
Eco-Hometec (made by MAN) make one of the finest boilers around, in the RR class, Andy hall will tell ypu all about it, yet as Simon Stroud on this ng, who bought one, said..."One small issue when dealing with Eco-Hometec was their apparent keenness for "electronic" water conditioners."
Top makers of heat banks/cylinder and boilers recommend electronic. They recommend them as "in the field" they are known to work.
And my Aqua-Dial, who make phosphor descalers and full salt softeners, still works.

But no explanation on just how it dissolves existing scale, given that the device could have no impact on a storage tank perhaps 20 ft or more from it.
--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:56:55 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

But Dave, where's your faith? It has a microprocessor so it must be good.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

form
the
There you go. Positive proof.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Actually assuming these devices did reduce scale in the water that passes by them (which they don't) then they would reduce existing scale over time, as it would slowly dissolve back into the now less-scaled water.
writes>Asking for a friend

Tests at City University about 6-7 years ago showed that limescale adhered less if there was magnetic treatment of the water. Experiments on other systems were less clearcut.
One tested whether milk fats would be deposited less in pipework. This involved pumping fifty gallons of milk round a line for several days. At the end of the experiment,the milk,now "off", was pumped down the drain - the smell lingered for weeks !
For "how", suggest you try the University Library - Chemistry Journals - Chemical Abstracts - possibly J.D.Donaldson as author. -- cbw
%%%%%%%%%%%

I concur with those findings. I placed an electrical device around my incoming main, and immediately I notice scale particles in the water coming from the cold tap. After 2 weeks the water is clear again. Over the next 3 weeks, most of the scale in my kettle disappears, and my shower head de-scales. So if the device doesn't work, what is happening?
From the posts I think it is reasonable to assume that there are situations where they work and situations where they don't. Until the exact process is understood it will be difficult to produce predictable results in every situation, but most makers give a satisfaction or refund guarantee and reputable retailers are happy to supply them on that basis.
Stuart Grant <<<<<<

first.
No. Do they work? How do they work?

They dont soften the water but they reduce the scale.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:10:02 -0000, "boilerman"

They *may* reduce the scale....... the process being physical and not chemical.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They are made for gullible people. You won't find any evidence of testing of them. You may find customer testimonials. (i.e. "I fitted the ScaleBlaster2000 last year and it made me win the lottery and improve my sex life"). The odd thing is that the more expensive they make these ridiculous contraptions, the more convinced the purchasers are that they must have made the right decision.
If you really are looking for a relatively cheap method of scale control, fit a phosphate dosing canister. Otherwise, fit the real thing, an ion exchange water softener. This actually softens the water so you need less soap.
Christian.

first.
You'd be putting your money to better use if you bought beer.
They're a load of b****cks.

Hey, it wasn't me asking about these!
Christian.