Electrics and Oil Tank

We are in the process of installing a pond in our garden. We will include a UV clarifier in the system - water is continuously recycled through a UV light to prevent algae from forming. The most convenient place to install the clarifier, which cannot be submerged into the pond itself, is on one of the brick piers supporting our oil tank. However, are there regulations concerning the proximity of electrical items to oil tanks and, if so, what are they. Clearly we would not mount the light there if it breaches the regulations.

Thanks

Harry

PS the oil tank contains standard central heating oil.

Reply to
Hzatph

In many years of working with Domestic oil tanks and heating systems, I've never yet come across one with mains electrics on or near it (the majority being tucked away out of sight as far as possible) The nearest thing being armoured cables running past en route to a remote shed or similar. In the case of a steel tank/fuel pipe there is an obvious need to make provision against indirect contact i.e. by earth equipotential bonding. Commercial oil installations with electrics included by design do have specified standards including the use of flameproof apparatus at horrendous cost. Without referring to these standards I'd be reluctant to suggest you go ahead with this idea. You could try looking at the OFTEC website or google for something like oil-tank electrical installations or equipment Is it absolutely essential you use the tank location or is this just a first preferred option?

Reply to
John

I don't know what the regs situation is, but surely this is just not a good idea in any case.

Can you not build a suitable structure a few metres away from the oil tank?

Reply to
Grunff

My u.v. box sits on a couple of bricks at the edge of the pond. It is mostly hidden by shrubbery. I can't see the necessity for building a structure

Pete

Peter Stockdale

I didn't mean a shed or anything - just something to keep it off the ground and out of the weeds. We have a distribution box near the garage which feeds the garage and the pump house. This is a waterproof box, but I've attached it to a tower of 4 concrete blocks. This keeps it nicely accessible even when everything's overgrown. That's really all I meant by a structure in this case.

Reply to
Grunff

My electrics structure is a piece of 3by3 post to which the d.box is attached. I find it difficult is these sort of cases to advise people as they rarely give enough detail. It would be easy to assess if one was actually on site. As a fallback,one photo is worth a thousand words it is said.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

I would be wary of having electrics or anything else which might ignite oil accidently spilt, or leaking from the tank.

You may find info on the OFTEC web site:

Michael Chare

Thanks for the advice - our electricians were unsure about the point when asked and my intuitive reaction is inline with the replies given. The tank is plastic to answer one the question someone raised.

Reply to
Hzatph