Electricity Meter: replacing the board it's mounted on

Hi,

My electricity meter, main fuse and neutral isolator are mounted on a (chipboard) board which is falling apart. Probably about 45 years old, though the meter is newer.

My fear is that one day I'll open the cupboard and see the meter dangling on it's tails...it's that fragile.

I'd like the board replaced....but this cannot be done without isolating the entire street. Certainly not diy able.

I'll be phoning Southern Electricity tomorrow (local network operator) to check out their position on this.

I should have thought this is a fundamental safety issue...and as such should I expect this to be replaced FOC? Is this reasonable?

David

Reply to
Vortex

Yes, the meter board is their responsibility. Don't let them try to tell you otherwise. And it can be - and is - done without turning off supplies to whole street.

Reply to
The Wanderer

I was speaking to a meter reader last week about this problem. If the meter is one of the latest digital ones, if they are angled forwards by about 45 degrees, they stop counting. He had just reported one, but does not have much hope of his £100-00 for reporting it as intended, as it looked like the same conditions that you write about.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Err..why do they stop counting if tilted 45 degrees? I suppose it's more hassle than the old "magnet in top of the meter" trick.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

I have no idea, but I will ask the question next time he comes to read the meter.

Dave

Reply to
Dave