Electric problem

?
Reply to
RatRibs73

I think that he was referred to as a cowboy, well the professional caring highly skilled electricians that did my house must have learnt their trade in Dodge City.

kevin

Reply to
Kev

Do you mean a Junction Box, and if not why don't you use proper junction boxes?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I found connector blocks plastered into the wall for the wall lights in an extention rather than use a bit of cable that was 2 feet longer. Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Right - I think I get what the OP is describing - he did use connector block (i.e. chocolate block) to connect the cables, then wrapped them in tape (unnecessary), then stuck them inside junction box type enclosures (which he's called chocolate block - probably confused it with the idea of a chocolate BOX). So the joints are reasonably protected.

So installation ok - but seems to be a "wire it up, switch it on" with no testing in between.

Reply to
dom

I originally used one of these...

soon realised that the plastic wrapper does not conduct as well as the good old fashioned foil it used to come in - Two finger Kit Kats may have been better. Still, it gave me something to feed the Bosnians with.

I then used these...

fault - I didn't realise that connector strips could be called chocolate blocks.

Did you really think I'd just wrap a connector strip in insulating tape and leave it at that. What do you take me for? An incompetent Part P person?

Will use continuous runs next time - if only to save me getting grief from you lot. I acquired these free which is why I used them over JBoxes. Not much difference between em both anyway. Will this now spark a chocbox versus jbox debate? Lets see....

Reply to
RatRibs73

Being overly thorough now. I just can't win can I? ;)

Reply to
RatRibs73

Is ther another way?

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Is ther another way?

Reply to
dcbwhaley

Thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding.

The tape could have been employed to hold the switch in the on position on the MCB - but as you have Bosnians to spare you can simply position one to do that. In fact if has a full compliment of digits he can probably hold most of the MCB's and RCD's in the on position and tear open the cadburys bar with his teeth (unless they're pushed into service as an earth mecca).

Reply to
dom

Aplogies - but yes - that was exactly the impression I got from your original post!

Reply to
dom

I bet the kids loved having a horse to fuss over whilst he worked.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Well, now you see I only asked for a picture to avoid all this unnecessary discussion!

As to being incompetent, that is a general term I didn't use. I'm sure you are competent at many things. part P makes reference to "competent persons" though (a special breed who are assumed (among other things) to be able to do such jobs as these efficiently and properly and be the experts in them (I did say "assumed"). I was merely suggesting the story so far might not make you one of these.

Whatever - I'm sure the story has gone on long enough even the hardest critics are getting interested in the solution ;o)

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I referred to no-one as a cowboy. I suggested he might not be what is now known as a "competent person"

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I apologise. I thought you just wanted to laugh and point at me as if I was a freak.

Reply to
RatRibs73

Well, it IS what you said!

After all, if you had it in an enclosure, there wouldn't have been a need for insulating tape, either. There was nothing to suggest that a plastic box was involved.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'm afraid not. ;-)

More seriously, you shouldn't wrap chocolate block in tape, as it prevents inspection of the terminal screws.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Does the original cable from the consumer unit still go to the first original socket ? if so then that socket at least should work. If it doesn't work then the fault must be the mcb no longer making contact. If you cut the wire immediately after the consumer unit then it could be your connection method or again the mcb. As you appear not to have a multimeter how about getting a pendant light bulb holder and connecting that to the end of your first cut to see if the lamp lights ? At the risk of adding to the assumptions previously made re your skills, I assume you stripped the insulation off the wires before putting them in the connector block.......it's not that daft a question as I had a friend wire an extension cable up who thought the grub screws where designed to pierce the insulation.

Reply to
Pete Cross

Doing that could only be topped by cutting speedfit pipe with a hacksaw.

I like to do things properly. (not using the continous run was through necessity not choice)

Reply to
RatRibs73

Christian,

It was tongue it cheek, m8.

I know - I've said it was my error in an earlier post - I said choc block instead of choc box. I should be heartily flogged with a big bunch of 2.5 twin and earth.

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
RatRibs73