Electric meter: indoors or outside? Pros & cons?

Does anyone have any views on the pros and cons of having an electric meter located inside one's house vs. outside in a plastic cabinet set inti the wall? I have to make a decision. Thanks for any input.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Well, unless you have a little spy window for the meter, you'd have to stay in for the meter to be read... Not so much a problem nowadays since many (most?) people send their meter readings on line.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:27:20 +0100, Jim mused:

Many REC's will only install new supplies to outside meter cupboards, so that may limit your choice.

I'd stick it outside anyway.

Reply to
Lurch

Ask yourself who is coming to read your meter. These days the meter readers are not employed by the power companies, are poorly paid and got off the dole line in many cases. If a meter reader comes into your house might he/she see something valuable, then go down the pub and talk about it? Anyway the less people with access to your house surely the better.

Reply to
Broadback

But even though they encourage this by giving me Nectar points, they say they will still send someone to knock on the door occasionally (in practice every quarter) under the laughable excuse of "making safety checks", so better to avoid this hassle by having it readable from outside.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

Thanks for the replies so far. Yes, I seem to recal that more often than not people prefer their meters to be outside now. The only opposite preference was from someone who thought they were prime targets for vandals.

I wonder if there's anyone here who prefers their meter to be indoors, and why.

If the leccy co does insist on putting it outside, will they give me a key to the cabinet, or is the key issued only to the supply co's meter-readers?

If so, is there any rule prohibiting me from jig-sawing a 2" x 1" hole in the cabinet door and sticking a perspex window on it so I can read the meter myself?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

AFAIK the key will be a simple triangle thing - not a proper lock at all. So you can have one of your own.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

On Fri, 18 May 2007 16:50:41 +0100, "Clive George" mused:

I had a box full of meter keys, I've not got enough keyrings, tool boxes, vehicles, pockets etc... to put them all in.

Reply to
Lurch

When we recently moved house and changed electricity suppliers the new suppliers welcome pack included a meter cabinet key.

Our meters are under the stairs...

Guy

-- -------------------------------------------------------------------- Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd snipped-for-privacy@crossflight.co.uk

Reply to
Guy Dawson

Yes you get a key by rights and replacements if required.

Reply to
EricP

If you're in a rough area, bear in mind that the scrotes will:

a) have a meter cupboard key available b) be able to switch off your supply at the conveniently located isolator in the outside cupboard c) wait until the battery in any alarm system has run down, then get in without any further ado

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Ah, yes! I felt sure there were going to be some disadvantages in having it outside (apart from mere vandalism). I'm not in what I'd call a rough area, but the hazards you mention still seem worthy of serious consideration ...especially since it costs an arm and a leg to get them to reposition it once the location has been chosen.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I haven't come across it often, but the alarm issue has cropped up maybe 3 or 4 times over the past 10 years or so that i've dealt with customers (either directly or indirectly), but the problem with people having their supply switched off comes up more often - sadly, it's often old dears who are least able to sort the little b*stards out, or get to the outside cupboard safely that seem to get it :-/

Reply to
Colin Wilson