Marble tile Pros & Cons?

Hi all, We have a sortof unique situation. We purchased an 80% finished house! The dining room floor is concrete slab which was painted white, or very light cream. We are now very accustomed to the nearly white color so we are concidering Marbe tile as a floor, but have some questions,,

  1. Do we need to remove the paint from the slab? It is very well adhered but would come off with a razor scraper and alot of sweat.
2.. Does marble have grout lines? The floors we've liked seem to not have any gap at all
  1. How does it wear? can you slide a chair across it without scratches? Does tracked in pebbles or sand scrath it? Does it scuff with black shoe marks? Etc
  2. It apparently needs re-polishing from time to time, how often in a residential install?

  1. Lastly is there any residential floor other than marble which would give a nearly white floor, without grout lines? Epoxy perhaps?

Any help very much appreciated

AustinScoobee

Yes. Use a chemical remover.

All tile must have grout lines, unless you have geometrical perfection (tile size, squareness, floor flatness, thinset bed thickness).

Marble is very soft and brittle. Scratches easily.

Diamond polishing is needed to cure initial lippage. How often for looks depends on your traffic.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Joints more than grout lines. _____________

Poorly. Marble is about the softest thing you could put on a floor. ____________

Terrazzo with light aggregate and white cement. However, it would be in sections (albeit big ones) and there would be joints. The joints are nearly invisible.

Reply to
dadiOH

You will have constant head aches with marble.. Terrazo is probably your best bet.

Reply to
Jack