Efficient Electric water storage heaters

On holiday in France the farmhose we stayed in had a giant (2m high) electric water heater in the cellar. It fed mains pressure hot water to the house above. The owner said it was great and the bills weren't high. My old gravity fed indirect effort which heats off a gas boiler could do with replacing. I'm fortunate to have a cellar, one of these giant things would be perfect. The only references I can find to electric water heating are the good (ie bad) old immersion heater.

Can anybody point me to websites for something better?

Neal

Reply to
Neal Unitt-Jones

If you believe a Frenchman on matter plumbing you are stark raving bonkers - they invented the Saniflo.

All electric water heaters are (at the point of delivery) 100% efficient. All you can do after that is improve insulation etc to hold that heat in but there is nothing more efficient than the bog standard immersion heater.

As with all forms of peak rate electric heating it is still very expensive - because electricity is expensive compared with other fuels - but it is perfectly efficient.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Stick to gas as electricity is 3 to 3 times more expensive to run. Unvented indirect cylinders heat by gas boilers are available here. better still fit a heat bank.

Reply to
IMM

Cable loss can make that 97%.

Reply to
IMM

Hi Neal,

If you already have the heating system installed, then why not extend the pipework and fit one of these in the cellar:

BigWallop

Power station loss can make that less than 40%

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

From meter to element.

From generator to element. And if a coal burning station the most polluting.

Reply to
IMM

(go to thermal storage).

Reply to
IMM

Please read before drivel.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Yup, that looks like the puppy, thanks. NUJ

Reply to
Neal Unitt-Jones