Dyson DC07 Clean

When I emptied the canister I noticed that whenever I shut the base some dust would fall from the top section and that some of the holes were getting partially blocked in the drum section.

Being the fussy person that I am, I wondered about: a) Dismantling the cyclone to clean it, or b) just giving it a good session in the shower to wash its crevices.

Any suggestions (other than to 'get a life')

Reply to
John

Is it still under warranty? Get Dyson to it saying you have cleaned filters, and checked for blocked pipes, but it still wont suck. They may send you a new one!!

Reply to
Tim Morley

Try jabbing the brush from an ordinary dustpan and brush at the holes to dislodge the accumulated stuff

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I've done similar to as you describe with our DC08, by taking the cyclone assembly apart and blasting it out with the pressure washer. Once re-assembled with a clean set of filters it looked and peformed like new again.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

If you have access to an air compressor, try blowing it through at high pressure. Works for me and performance is always better for it. Don't forget to wash the filter now & again. Far from being 'get a life', I like Dyson vacuums. Now have several and they all work well once you get to know them. DC01 still works well and is far from being retired. Buggers to dismantle though. GS

Reply to
Great Scot

Yes. Get a proper vacuum cleaner. Forget the Die Soon and buy something that works properly, like a Numatic.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I would disagree.

1) OP stated "Any suggestions (other than to 'get a life')" - which you seem to have disregarded. 2) Dysons are extremely good vacuum cleaners. They take some getting used to but imho are more versatile than Henry, George, James, Charles etc. I have tried them all. Have yet to find anything that will outdo a Vorwerk, but Dyson is a VERY close 2nd best. GS
Reply to
Great Scot

I've spent years selling commercial cleaning machinery and I'm frankly unimpressed with the perfromance of every Dyson I've tried.

I'd agree that the VK is a good bit of kit, horrendously expensive if you buy them through the pyramid selling outlet. Best upright IME is the Sebo.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Alan Any tips on taking the cyclone apart - Is it really necessary?. I can see 3 Torx screws on the top - just worried there will be a "Pingfuckit" inside. Was hoping just a soak and a wash through.

Reply to
John

I've taken a DC04 cyclone apart a few times, and that doesn't have any pingfuckit's inside (expect possibly in the pressure relief valve which I didn't take apart, and avoided getting water into).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Couldn't agree more. Best vacuum cleaner we've ever owned.

And I saw some cleaners using them in a hotel in America. If Americans will buy a non-American appliance, it better be *damn* good.

Reply to
Huge

Done it. Very satisfying - a bit of washing up liquid and a session in the shower removed all the horrid grey powder that was the result of a rotten backing from a foam backed carpet. Just need to dry it thoroughly now.

My view on the Dyson debate:

Dyson introduced a good challenge into an apathetic market and as a result many improved designs were spawned by many makers. However, if all you want is a metal box with a motor and fan then I guess the Henry is superb.

For floor cleaning and grooming then I like an upright type of machine. At my place of work the cleaners use some very robust machines - but they don't have the suction of my Dyson. They do however meet the challenge of being dragged around many offices and crashing into furniture.

Quality is a bit subjective. It can be taken to mean Fitness for purpose. - However in this market people have different views as to what constitutes fitness.

"Feel the weight of this - it is a quality machine" - isn't my take for a vacuum cleaner. Neither is - "I can use it in the workshop to clean up my rubble"

I want a self contained tool that is reasonably pleasing to use for the carpets and upholstery.

For the car I shall continue to use my old Hoover Constellation.

Reply to
John

It was fine - as I said, I am fussy and it is probably about 5 years old.

Some deposits of sticky dust that was once foam backing of a carpet - probably static charged

Reply to
John

Was that the hovercraft?

so !

Reply to
Tim Morley

Not DIY, but for £57 Dyson will send a man round and strip, clean, re-assemble and replace most part as part of the deal.

We were given a DC07 which had been very badly treated by builders, I'd stripped it & cleaned it as best as I could and we got a few years out of it, but it just seemed to be worse than better as of late, so we decided to pay the money.. Man came round, sang Dysons praises, stripped it, cleaned it, ordered spare parts (new hose, new cyclone) which we didn't pay for - we did need a new HEPA filter which we had to pay for (£15) as they're not supposed to need replacing, and that was that.

It sucks like a well sucky thing now and if we get another 5 years out of it I'll be very happy.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Reply to
John

Why did you need a man to come round - why didn't you take it to the man and save money?

Sounds a bit 1960's - "Must get a man in"

Reply to
John

Mine is light green.

Reply to
John

I disagree. How much would it have cost him to do it? Taking it somewhere would involve the car running cost, possibly parking, and most expensively the time involved whether it would be a single trip and waiting for a fix or two trips and doubling the transport cost. If I had a situation like this and it involved going further than the immediately local town (4 miles) or more than an hour spent (absolute tops) then £57 would be a no-brainer decision, especially as the price delta between a fix priced visit and taking it to the shop is probably no more than £20.

The business model for this is that the average cost is amortised over all of the visits. Some need more and some need less.

Dyson are not the only vendor to offer this type of service - Miele do as well - possibly others

I had a problem that the "beats-as-it-sweeps-as-it-cleans" head became intermittent in operation. The suspicion was an intermittent connection in the hose.

For £65 they offer a complete service and replacement of any parts or accessories, plus new filters and a pack of bags. Logistically, this is not done by a man in a van principle; but rather that they deliver a packing box by courier, complete with materials and an instruction sheet. It is collected later that day or the following day, triggered by a phone call, and is delivered back within 3 working days. In the example above there was a new hose and some new accessories as well. It would have cost more than £65 to buy the spares.

Service isn't just about price. It's about matching the service offering to the customer's needs. Price is only one element of that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Because Dyson only offer on-site visits.

And it saves a lot of faffing about, packing it, delivering it, waiting, etc. one phone call, an appointment was made - on the day we got a call to say he was running a little late, but he turned up, did the job and that was that.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson