New shower pipes through cast iron bath?

Hi there,

I'm going to install a new mixer shower over an existing cast iron bath soon. I have the option of chasing the hot and cold pipes into the solid brick wall (yikes!) or running the pipes on the surface. The feed pipes will probably run under the bath.....

As the shower is to be installed at the end of the bath, could I drill through the cast iron bath and run the pipes through there, to save all the mess and aggro of chasing? Any major drawbacks to this approach?

Cheers!

Simon

Reply to
Simon

IME it would be a whole lot easier to chase the pipes into the wall. Much easier than trying to drill cast iron accurately.

Look at it this way;

Screw up chasing pipes into wall - use some filler.

Screw up drilling cast iron bath - buy new bath.

Do the math :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Plenty....

Treat yourself to a nice SDS drill and chase the wall.

John Rumm

|!Hi there, |! |!I'm going to install a new mixer shower over an existing cast iron |!bath soon. I have the option of chasing the hot and cold pipes into |!the solid brick wall (yikes!) or running the pipes on the surface. The |!feed pipes will probably run under the bath..... |! |!As the shower is to be installed at the end of the bath, could I drill |!through the cast iron bath and run the pipes through there, to save |!all the mess and aggro of chasing? Any major drawbacks to this |!approach?

Drilling Cast Iron baths is a bad idea, because of the vitreous enamel (glass) surface on the inside. This chips and cracks if you do any work at all on it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Perhaps a silly question as it appears so obvious but why are you not using the existing holes in the bath and replacing the taps with a tap/shower mixer bar like most of the hotels use?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Thanks for replies so far... guess I'll be chasing the wall then - as for using a combined shower / tap, I've already bought the mixer shower I want to install!

Cheers

Simon

Reply to
Simon

On 11 Feb 2007 12:59:51 -0800 someone who may be "Simon" wrote this:-

Far better than trying to drill holes in a cast iron bath.

Sell it:-)

Reply to
David Hansen