Dust extraction adapter: sanding table to vacuum cleaner?

I have a sanding table (Clarke CDS300) for which I need to organise some dust extraction; at this stage I don't need anything more sophisticated than my workshop vacuum cleaner (a Wickes-badged Earlex wet-and-dry model).

However I am really struggling to find anything to connect the two together neatly (ie not involving bulking out the vaccuum cleaner hose by wrapping it an old rag. I'm imagining a rubber using a rubber boss shoved permanently into the sandere outlet, into which I can just plug and unplug the vac hose at will. Can't find anything suitable anywhere (eg ebay/Amazon/Google/Axminster) - any ideas?

The sander outlet is 52mm OD, 45mm ID, and the (tapered) tip of the vacuum cleaner hose is 30mm OD.

[As an aside, I note that a wide-bore hose kit is available for my vac
or
- nozzle dimensions different but unknown - how would that affect the dust collecting properties of my vac?]
Reply to
Lobster

I'd make an MDF ring to fit inside the sander outlet and take the tapered bore on the inside of the ring.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I like Bob's MDF idea. I was thinking along similar lines but of a sink plunger and a penknife. I have a couple of sink plungers in my "toolroom" which I inherited along with the house (I hope that's not a bad omen about the state of my drains) and the "stick" end of either would push-fit down my vacuum nozzle. Pull the stick off, cut a hole through to the cup and then trim the cup to size and you should have a connector with a certain amount of flexibility.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Axminster have an adapter which will do the job, or will have when it's back in stock next week. Wide end of this is 45mm o/d, stick it in the sander, maybe a turn or two of duct tape around it to make it a snug fit if necessary, cut the other end to fit your vac.

I have several of these adapting various tools to various extractors. It's overpriced for what it is, but there is nothing similar available.

Reply to
pcb1962

Coincidentally I have just constructed something similar: I had a length of

20mm flexible conduit and wanted to use that to connect a manual 'dustless sander' (Abranet) unit to my Henry vacuum cleaner.

What I did may not be as neat as you want: I wrapped and gaffa-taped a length of bubble-wrap around the last few inches on one end of the conduit. This made a 'bung' which fitted neatly into the inlet of the Henry (around

65mm dia IIRC). It is a bit of a squeeze fit which works well, and the gaffa tape helps keep a decent seal.

At the other end the conduit I had was a bit small; I had to splay it out (more gaffa!) to fit the handle.

This has been working well for me and has saved me a few bob on a dedicated hose I'd rarely use. If I was to do it again I would use some of that plasticised packing foam that one comes across sometimes. That would make a better-defined shape for the 'bung'.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

You can get adaptors to go from one to the other, failing that, large bore heatshrink can work if there is enough spigot on the wide end.

Increase it a little bit...

Reply to
John Rumm

I did this years ago with a Henry. IIRC (part of) one of the attachments that came with the vac did it. A tapered tube of some kind? So long ago......

Reply to
stuart noble

I picked up an adapter for my vac at B&Q, my vac pipe is 2" (not metric) I have various power tools ... 38, 45, 52mm etc

Adapter is "Performance Power" brand, and is a pronounced taper rubber flexy thing so fits on or in multiple sizes.

Reply to
Rick Hughes