Dual Back Box

Hi All,

I am trying to find a dual back box that will accept a single switched socket and an FCU. Both fittings are of the 'flat plate' variety. They will overlap if I use a standard dual box.

Does such a thing exist or will it mean using two single back boxes? If so what's the best way to line them up?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Charlie Pie

In article , Charlie Pie writes

cpc.co.uk

PL1004207 for the surface mount version 39 pee PL0997207 for the dry lining (plasterboard) version 54 pee

(is there any point replying to this? will the OP see it on diybanter?)

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

AlanD

Can I ask if a standard dual box is just that or a standard two gang box?

Because a dual box is designed to take two one gang fittings.

However, some 'fancy' fittings can be a bit too wide to fit those. The answer is either to file down the mating edges until they do, or if this looks unsightly fix two one gang boxes to wood battens (say 1 x 1/2") along the top after marking them carefully with the fittings in place (you'll probably have to drill extra holes in the boxes for this) and then use this as a template for the hole in the wall. If into plasterboard cut the holes very accurately. If into brick etc fix another scrap of wood across the top using the fittings screws and then set into the wall using quick set cement. But it's a fiddle either way.

If into plasterboard, set the original wood battens back on the boxes by the thickness of the plasterboard and make them about an inch longer. Drill a pilot hole in each of these extensions. After cutting the plasterboard, offer the assembly up and drill the plasterboard through those pilot holes. Dismantle, and fix the battens to the back of the plasterboard using rust proof screws, so they can be filled over afterwards. Then fix the boxes to the battens using the original screw holes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No such thing exists AFAIK.

Use two single back boxes.

To line them up you just need a piece of wood between the two boxes that is the exact width needed to keep the face plates apart. You need to put the faceplates onto the back boxes put them side by side and measure the gap between the back boxes, cut a piece of wood to match and fit the back boxes into the wall with the wood in place.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's curious that you have sent this reply when several hours previously, others gave suppliers, part numbers and prices.

FWIW, I've used dual faceplate outlets all over Lowe Towers.

At every TV point ( of which there are several ), I have one 'single' faceplate for dual-sat/UHF/Radio, alongside another 'single' faceplate with twin Cat-6 outlets. These fit nicely onto a dual back box.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I'm almost certain I had one from Wickes but I can't see it on the website.

B&Q have'em though -

brass monkey

Ron, if you are replying to me then reread the OPs original message. He wanted a dual back box suitable for flat plate sockets. The OP was well aware of that normal dual back boxes (including the links supplied by the others you refer to do not work) and asked if there was a version of dual back boxes that would suit his need for flat plate sockets.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I see what you mean. Apologies for the mis-understanding.

Doubly-so, since I had the same issue recently...

We had some single-faceplate sockets and fused switched spurs in kitchen, fitted to single back-boxes spaced to the minimum spacing all in a row. SWMBO decreed these be replaced 'like-for-like' with ultra-thin brushed Stainless type faceplates. Fair enough, only the bloody stainless thin things are a fraction wider than the white plastic things they replace.

I agree, it's a PITA.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Ron

:-)

Now what and where are Lowe Towers?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

twin socket?

Ah - just looked on TLC site - it states "Suitable for use with White Accessories ONLY" Have you compared measurements of different makes of socket and FCU - surely some are the same as plastic ones

Reply to
John

I think you replied to the wrong post ;)

I just needed one for a socket and a switch. Being able to rotate each by 90 was also useful.

Reply to
brass monkey

Thanks Adam and Dave for the advice I feared there wouldn't be such a thing. Two singles it is then.

Reply to
Charlie Pie

What about AP 636 on the TLC Web site?

Reply to
John

Nope, they do exist - I've got an MK one downstairs which I am 90% sure I bought in B&Q.

Can't immediately see a part number but the packet describes it as 'Dual Metal Box'

Reply to
jsabine

You've not really followed the thread, have you? ;-)

Certain 'designer' fittings have larger front plates...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not MK, but here's some:

PL02641, PL02642, PL00528

Reply to
Bob Eager

Given that I actually quoted, but obviously hadn't read

I think that's probably fair comment.

Hey ho. Sundays are clearly as bad as Mondays in my world.

Reply to
jsabine