Dropped kerb quotes

hi all

applied to council for 4 drops and 2 sloped

paid survey fee about 20ukp survey done

within a few days

waited for quote for several weeks then had to call them

Quote arrived last week 1670ukp pay in advance work done within 8 weeks of cheque clearing

called long established localish company

700ukp + vat can be done within 2 weeks no deposit, payment within 30 days of completion

How do the council justify such a charge and conditions especially when I already pay them council tax as well

I will be writing to complain to my local councillor once the work is done and signed off

Regards

Reply to
TMC

tisk, and those night time fairies would have done it without alerting the Council too.

Reply to
Vass

Reply to
TMC

How else can they keep sending councilors on expenses paid trips !

In my local council you can do the work with your own contractor, just have to apply for permission to have dropped kerbs, and inform them once done so they can inspect.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Similar job 5 years ago I was quoted £500 by the council. No survey fee, just sent them jpgs of the job. good job /eventually/ done (but that's another story).

Reply to
<me9

We paid for our kerb to be dropped to match proposed drive widening.

Then 6 months later the council re-did most of the nearby roads (but not ours and the next one). Dropped kerbs for free where the drive was wider than the existing dropped kerb.

Reply to
<me9

Years ago, my Dads workshop straddled a road barrier. We had an entrance one side, and it would have been useful to have a dropped kerb the other, but the council got arsey AIR, and refused permission. A couple of years later, they relaid the pavement along the road. The other denizens of the industrial estate were very off, not allowing them to draw water, use loos and making it difficult to park. When they got to our section my Dad welcomed them in, made tea, no problem to park in our yard, use the loos help yourselves to water ....

As they moved on, my Dad mentioned the kerb, and the gaffer said "leave it to me". He got his boss to draw up the paperwork, and as they passed by, they made a dropped kerb.

20 years later it's still there.
Reply to
Jethro

yep got a replacement street lamp moved a metre to the left of the original giving me better access to my drive by similar means

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Yes.__

Reply to
<me9

I expect it works the same way as it does elsewhere, namely that the customer (council) needs to be convinced of various things before considering a company, and most companies dont jump through the hoops.

NT

Reply to
NT

Then dont employ their contractor.

NT

Reply to
NT

You don't get anything in return for paying council tax (other than not being set to prison), it's a tax, not a service charge. The clue is in the name.

If you only got local services because you were rich enough to pay tax, then poor people wouldn't get bins emptied, schooling for their children, policemen, public highways to walk along, street lights, public libraries, fires put out.....

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

The clue is in the behaviour of many council officers and employees.

It's only because I and others are rich enough to pay tax that poor people get anything at all. With the result that they can afford Sky Telly, Buckfast and Smack and I can't. (Not that I want any of those things, but it would be nice if the public library actually had a complete set of D.L. Sayers novels.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You could use Kindle on your computer - the Sayers books are available from Amazon.

Reply to
S Viemeister

No it's not. It's a Community Charge.

Reply to
Andrew May

It is a fee payable to a government deparment, which is used as part of the general government revenue stream from other taxes to rpovide services to the taxpayer. That makes it a tax in my books. It is a fraction of local government expenditure, with the rest mad up from central funds (i.e. Taxation).

If it waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's either a duck or someone pretending to be one.

Reply to
John Williamson

service charge. The

The Community Charge was the poll tax that replaced the old rates, Community Charge was replaced with Council Tax.

Reply to
Andy Burns

service charge. The

It's irrelevant what it's called; it's a tax.

Try not paying it and see what happens.

Reply to
Huge

I'm not the one claiming it isn't a tax!

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm on your side ...

Reply to