drilling at height - safety

More importantly, does it have a clutch? If it doesn't and the bit snags you are invited to attend a party where you get to swing around the bit, as the drill continues to rotate.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Yes, it does. It's described as "Ideal for diamond core drilling", so I assume that's the kind of core bit it would be supplied with.

If I were to use a core drill up a ladder this is probably the drill I'd consider using. I wouldn't even contemplate it with some of the Hilti SDS beasts & standard cores that I've hired in the past (I hired one once where the front grip didn't secure properly onto the collar, so rotated freely. Foolishly I pressed on with it - the shop had already closed by then and time was an issue. When the 150mm core grabbed, I was lucky not to have broken my wrist. It nearly knocked me off the step ladders!).

Reply to
RichardS

The choice of drill makes all the difference. I have done a 4" core up a ladder with my Makita SDS (with safety clutch), and it is a pussy cat to handle - when it grabs it is no worse than gitting the torque limiter on a cordless drill when driving screws. I would not dream of trying it with a drill that does not have a clutch though.

Reply to
John Rumm

I should add that the working at height regulations are quite strict these days (obviously don't apply to DIY) and any work over 2m requires fall protection equipment like safety harness, these regs are there for a reason. As one of my colleagues remarked to me once, it isn't the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the bottom.

Ladders are just about OK for simple tasks but any job that requires you to keep control of an unwieldy bit of equipment should always be done off a proper access platform - hire one for the job, your family will thank you. To get your moneys worth, do all the other jobs that need height like cleaning the gutters or washing down the external woodwork (which is you are using a core cutter you will need to do anyway).

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

IIWM, I'd at the least start out with 2 12mm holes to either side, to support heavy rawl-plugs to fix the ladder to.

Reply to
Ian Stirling