Drilling a hole in plywood

Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to shreds. Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills, if they are avialble in 8mm. The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

get a piece of scrap wood behind it if you can and hold if firmly against it. You then drill through the ply and into the scrap with no ripping

Paul

Reply to
Paul-S8

He could also use an auger (from each side) but the above may be easier... maybe drill a pilot hole and use a rose bit on each side, or other imaginitive methods.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Don't use flat drill bits or hss drill bits.

These are better for reducing break through damage in wood.

take it easy and don't go at it like a bull at a gate ;-)

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

I have some like these but they are very long drills so I will invest in a shorter one. At the end of the day the reverse side is hidden, so will the front side be when the job is finished come to that, it is just frustrating not to be able to bet a clean hole and believe me I am being as gentle as I can.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

It's not being gentle, it's putting a piece of sgrap wood on the back of where you are drilling from and using sharp bits.

Reply to
EricP

I seem to recall that such a scrap of wood has a curious name: "spelch block". Always willing to be corrected...

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

It is actually difficult getting to the reverse to hold some wood and drill at the same time but I will check the sharpness of the drills.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

One of these should be better than a regular twist bit

Rob Morley

There are proper wood twist drills, with a central spike and a small cutter on the outer edge, which cuts the circle before you start to drill it. I always use those for holes up to 10mm.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

If you want a 100% perfect no splinter hole use a plunge router.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That sounds like this

else mentioned it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kev

Getting the same advice from two different people on a newsgroup is usually a sign that they are on the right track.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar