Downlighters - spacings from combustables

I have a 15cm gap between joists in the hall ceiling (there's ceiling AND floor joists, alternating).

I'm not up on fire regs - but is that sufficient if I put a GU10 downlight dead centre?

Ideally, I'd like to know the minimum acceptable spacing as I have a few others to do in equally tight places.

Would a fireproof downlighter fiting be recommended?

In actual fact, these will only have 3W ish LED GU10s in for nightlighting (kids, trip to bog, that sort of thing) - but there's nothing to stop someone putting a 50W haloen in there in the future...

Ta :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The "fireproof downlighters" are not there to stop a fire starting. They are there to stop the passage of fire between floors of a building.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Thanks Adam,

I thought they might help...

How far away would you recommend the edge of a fitting be from wood? Assume flush downlighters here...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Manufacturers instructions apply

eg

ARWadsworth

Thanks Adam - that's got some really useful info in...

Assuming most halogen downlighters will be similar, that says 50mm free air space around the fitting above the fitting.

That works for the window bays (of course, I will double check the actual fitting I buy).

Bit tricky in the hall though with only 14-15cm between joists.

I could go for "fixed LED" lights (perhaps even those little tiny point ones) for the hall, but I was trying to retain a changeable lamp with a standard fitting.

Maybe I'll stop worring as I'm intending 3W LEDs in the hall...

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

3W LEDs could not ignite a fart:-)

I would not worry about them touching a joist.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

> MR16_DL_V2_08.pdf

Yep - I was just trying to fool proof it against someone being a wally.

Then again, making something foolproof just produces a better class of fool :)

I did notice that your widgets docs said "reduce to 35W when mounted in a wooden celing". Wonder how many people just then goe and shove whatever random lamp in they can find...

Reply to
Tim Watts